Chapter 8

Part Two: The Calm

Ebony's POV

I woke up and rolled over with my eyes closed, thinking about yesterday. I'd woken up at about three fifteen to find Lily missing. When I'd gone into the living room, I found her cuddled up against Loki's side and staring at him with wide eyes. He had been telling her a story. His story. I'd pressed myself against the wall and listened to it, knowing all the details already. But this time it was a little different. This time the story didn't end with his fall. It ended when he met me.

There was a lingering anger and sadness in his voice but I couldn't sense any hatred and the anger certainly wasn't severe enough to be called rage anymore. I smiled to myself, wondering if he was really coming to terms with all that had happened. About to step in and tell Lily she had to come to bed, I stopped upon hearing Loki's description of me. The bathroom door across the hall stood open and I looked inside at my reflection on the mirror. Raising a brow, I wondered just when he'd started thinking of me like that. I couldn't say I minded... I really did like him. And the way he got along with Lily had definitely raised my opinion of him.

I smiled to myself and paid attention to what Loki was saying. "After weeks of her company, the prince wondered if he had begun falling in love with the princess. But, here is where you must finish the story yourself. How should he find out if she could love him?" I blinked. Love? Sighing, I shook my head and told myself not to think too much of it. He'd get bored and move on. I would enjoy it while I could. Only this time, I wouldn't let him hurt me when he left. I wasn't the innocent girl I was a few years ago with my last boyfriend. I wouldn't let that happen again. I couldn't.

But I still found myself smiling as Lily figured out he was talking about me. She told him how to "woo" me and I heard his chuckle.

"Thank you for your advice, Detective Jones."

I turned to enter the room. A floorboard creaked and they spun around to look at me. I made sure to appear tired and cold, like I'd just gotten up. I'd put Lily back in bed and thanked Loki for taking care of her.

Now, the next morning, I was still lying in bed. Suddenly, I remembered Lily had to get to school. I opened my eyes to see from the clock that it was already eight. I felt the bed dip and I turned to find Lily hovering over me. She gave me a quizzical look.

"What are you happy about?"

I smiled. "I was thinking of the tall guy in the living room."

She grinned. "I like Loki! He's really nice. And he's kinda funny. And he likes you a lot. He like likes you. But don't tell him I told you, it's a secret." She put a finger to her lips. I chuckled and mimicked her, nodding my understanding. I looked down to find she was already dressed.

"When did you get up?"

"Loki woke me up. He was gonna take me to school."

I leapt up and grabbed my jeans. "Did you have breakfast?"

"Yeah." I turned to find her pulling her backpack onto her shoulders. The door opened and I found Loki leaning against the wall, munching on a piece of toast. He smiled a good morning to me.

"I could have taken her. She was quite keen on seeing how teleporting works." He murmured.

"Do you know where it is?"

"Ten minutes from the Bruster's, she said. We can walk the rest of the way." He closed the door in front of me. "Get dressed. We'll wait." He called.

I pulled on an emerald green t-shirt and black jacket, shoved my feet into some old leather hunting boots and pulled my hair back. It was naturally wavy and with the wind, would be a hot mess in no time. I didn't bother to brush it. I brushed my teeth quickly and then grabbed Lily's clothes bag. They were waiting for me in the living room. I smiled to see Loki holding her on his back. He held a hand out to me and I took it hesitantly. He shifted Lily higher on his back. His green eyes were hidden from me as he muttered something under his breath.