Chapter 25

The day after Stuttgart.

I was sitting in the living room, looking for a movie to go see when Liv came and sat next to me. I tilted the laptop so she could see it. "I gotta get out of here so what do you want to see?"

"First-" A voice answered.

I looked over as Robin, Sammy, and Aly walked in and sat around me. It was Robby who had spoken. "First we need to talk." I closed the laptop and looked at him expectantly, feeling nervousness coil in my stomach. "Have you heard what happened in Germany?" I shook my head and Liv opened the laptop and went to CNN. She pulled up a video and I watched as a green and gold clad figure stood over a crowd of people. I just barely caught some of his words.

Kneel...natural state...ruled. A man stood up and spoke to him and I watched in horror as the tall figure pointed a kind of glowing weapon at him. It fired and the next thing I knew, Captain America was there. Liv closed the laptop and they all looked at me expectantly.

I looked down at my hands, spinning the ring around on my finger. "That wasn't Loki."

"Of course it was!" Robby exclaimed. "Now I heard your story but how about you explain it for Sam and Aly?"

Sam nodded. "What is he?"

Liv put one hand on my knee. I sighed. "Loki is an alien from a planet called Asgard. He's the same alien the Norse knew as the god of mischief. There was a conflict back in Asgard and he fell into some kind of void that landed him here. I found him passed out in the forest.

"Recently he started acting strange and he..." I rubbed my eyes. "I don't know. He went crazy. Hit me... Among other things."

"Just another Cam." Robin shook his head. He stood and started pacing. "God, Ebony! How stupid are you?! He's just like Cam and you let him do the same thing. You're still hoping and believing he loves you and now you're pregnant. I mean, when you were telling Liv, I thought 'eh, she's still emotional. She'll come to her senses.' But no, you're still hung up on him! You still think there's good in him!"

I couldn't meet his gaze. "Cam was always iffy. Loki treated me like I mattered, like he understood and loved me. I watched the change, Robby. I saw that thing take his mind and change him. You don't understand, it's not like he just turned on me. There's something else involved, I'm just not sure what yet."

Sam, Aly, and Robby were all talking at once now. They spoke with varying degrees of anger and disbelief, all of them trying to tell me that I was an idiot to fight for him. Liv squeezed my knee and was mercifully silent. I clenched my hands and kept my eyes down but I couldn't stand the way they derided him. They knew nothing about him, who were they to judge his character?

I stood suddenly. "Quiet! You will not act as though he's a monster or an animal. He is the man I love and he is the father of my child." They all stared up at me and then Sam and Aly looked away. "I don't know exactly what's happening. I don't know all the details. But I know a lot more than you and I'm the only one prepared to put the pieces together. So I will be the judge of what's going on and who he is."

Robin walked towards me, furious. "He's a monster, Eb. He stabbed a man's eye, killed a guard and a policemen. He evidently attacked some government base and killed eighty people. He tried to shoot a defenseless old man. Captain America had to step in. Obviously he's a serious threat! He's trying to take over the world! Who knows how many of his people are waiting outside the atmosphere?"

"You've always been so willing to accept what the government tells you." I sneered. "What the adults say. You're an adult now, Robby. Don't be a fool. Start asking why. You might find that things aren't always so black and white."

"I believe that he's the enemy and Captain America is the good guy. It's pretty simple to me."

I opened my mouth to retort back when someone started banging on the door.

"SHIELD team seven! Open up!"