Chapter 3

My alarm went off at eight as always but I was already up. Laying on my back, I listened for Loki. Other than the usual creaks of my old house and the noise of the woodpecker that lived in the back, there was nothing. I threw the covers off and slid some shorts on. Running a hand through my hair, I made myself more or less presentable before going into the living room.

Loki was sprawled out on the couch. I looked him over from across the room, still wary about being close to him. His mouth was open a bit and one hand rested behind his head. His lashes rested on his cheeks in perfect, impossibly long crescents. My eyes drifted down to his shirtless chest. His bruises were still an angry purple and his cuts hadn't changed much.

A chuckle brought my eyes back up to his face. He was smirking at me through sleepy green eyes. "Enjoying the view?" He rasped, his voice rough with sleep. I rolled my eyes and walked to the kitchen.

"Get up. I'm makin' breakfast."

"And why do I have to get up if it's not made yet?"

"'Cause you're helping me."

"I think not. I'll wait here, thank you."

I turned around and glared at him. "What do I have to do to get you to do a little work?" He smirked and raised one pale hand. He crooked one finger, beckoning me closer. I sighed and walked over, keeping the table between us. He leaned up, smiling crookedly.

"For a little work...I'll settle for a kiss."

I snorted. "You're a crap flirt."

"Not even on the cheek?" He patted his pale face with a laugh.

Rolling my eyes, I went back to the kitchen. "Get up. No touching." I was rummaging through my pantry when I felt him behind me. Looking over my shoulder, I found him blocking the doorway with a wolfish grin. I swore under my breath. My gun was on my bed.

I had known him for less than a day but at least I knew he wasn't serious. He might have a temper and I didn't want to bother him. But he had the air of a man that would rather seduce a woman than force her. I comforted myself with that. But I still had to suffer through his lewd comments.

"You woke me early." He murmured. "Don't think you'll get away with that without a punishment, pet." I opened my mouth to respond when the sound of the phone shot through the silence. He jumped, his head whipping around to where it sat on my desk. "What is that?"

I breathed in relief and pushed past him to get it. He beat me to it, picking it up and pressing the on button. There was silence as he stared at it, obviously glad the sound had stopped.

"Hello? Eb?"

His eyes widened and he put it to his ear. "Hello..." There was a pause. "I should ask who you are...How dare you!" He tensed up and his eyes narrowed as he gripped the phone tighter. I grinned and took it from him.

"Hi, Mom."

"Ebony! Who is that man and why is he so rude?!"

I laughed. "That's Loki. He's an old friend staying here for a while."

"Well whatever. Teach him some manners. Why'd he come to you?"

"Uhhh... He's a bit of a loner. Not many friends." I looked at Loki. He was leaning on the desk, watching curiously. "Anyway, what's up?"

"Oh I just wanted to check on you! Since you never call."

I smiled, heading back to the kitchen. Thinking quickly, I dipped back into my room and grabbed the gun. "I learned communication from the best." I quipped. Mom laughed a throaty laugh, one that used to sound like mine but cigarettes had taken that soft sound away. I set the gun down loudly on the counter, making sure Loki saw it. He smiled and raised his hands in defeat.