xxv.

After spending an hour of sniffing around town I finally found Nate place. It was a small one floor house near the outskirts of town close to the woods. I sniffed around the house where I felt like would be his room because he always smelt strangely of pizza.

I knocked on the window a few times and a moment later the lights turned on. Nate pulled the curtain aside and looked taken back to see me. He slid the window opened and gave me a look, “Are you crazy? It's one in the morning."

“I want the family back together.” I told him. I pushed him in by his head, “Ugh, just let me in.” I lifted myself in his small room and closed the window behind me. I turned to face him, “What?” I asked when his eyebrow arched.

“What made you change your mind?” he asked.

“Because I'm tired of this pack.” I told him. “I want my family back together and I mean everyone. We both can restore our family honor Nate. Redblood's are looked down on and I’m tired of that. What happened to your parents?"

He stared at me for a moment before sighing and sat down on his bed, “My mother wanted to move back to Texas so when we got they the new Alpha didn't want them there and they refused to leave. Seeing them as trouble the Alpha and Beta murder them both. Secretly. You see, Alpha Talaus isn't a good man. Many rumors about him and everyone there fears him. He somehow sneaked his way into our family and killed them but made it look like accidents. He slowly poisoned Carlene and made everyone believe she was sick with cancer. Made every Redblood look like criminals. Anyways, they found me and Alpha Talaus wanted to kill me but his Beta talked him out of and sent me to South Dakota where my mother parents lived until I was seventeen.”

I stared at him for a moment, seeing Nate in a whole new light. I may have not had my parents my whole life but at least I didn't have to watch them die like he had. I walked over and sat down on the bed next to him.

“Our family honor was stolen from us.” he said, sighing heavily. “Armstrongs don't deserve Texas. Our family may have had a temper but that's what made us good leaders. Talaus is just insane.”

“And your uncles?” I asked.

“I have three uncles who apparently ran away and no one knows where they are. They're hiding in Mexico.” he said. “They figure a way to get me letter informing me about what happened to them and how they plan to fight Talaus.”

I looked down at my hands for a moment, “Killian won't do this. He won't side with us.”

“Arkwright's connects with Redblood's is ancient history. They hardly speak for each other and won't ever take each other sides.” he said. “Though I feel bad for you, Killian is a loyal pack guy. His father is Beta and he had a good life. You should know how it feels having to do something risky and the cost is having everything you known be ripped away from you.”

I pushed my hair behind my ears, “Killian is my mate, he should be willing to do anything for me.”

“Everything not about you, Mat.” he said, his words smacking me hard in the face. Ouch. Those words hit me hard and I knew he was right. Killian would have to risk allot of things if he choose to side with my mom side of the family. A family of known rogues.

“So if we do fight Talaus and win—what happens than?” I asked.

“Whoever kills him becomes the new Alpha.” he said.

I lifted my head and looked at him as I arched my eyebrow, “So we're doing this as if it's some game?” I asked, scoffing.

He just shrugged his right shoulder, “We're all aiming for the same prize. I have no hard feelings though if one of us else does it first though because that still means our family will be together again.”