v.

"You know the rules Matilda, pull that mess of a hair back.'' Katherine said as she held a hair tie out to me. Katherine was the cook at Wings Hope and as my chore, every other day I help cook.

I groaned as I took the ponytail off my wrist and tied my curly hair back. I cleaned my hands and grabbed the potato peeler. I grabbed the few bags of potatoes and sat the table, peeling the skin of the potatoes.

As I peeled them, I couldn't help but think back to earlier. Mrs. Summers hasn't yet found out about my absent from school and I was waiting for her to storm in here saying how much of a no good child I am.

My thoughts quickly went to Killian and I signed, shaking my head to try and think of something else. I was failing since all I could think about how he kissed me in school. How perfect it seemed, like what you see on movies that you envy the lead characters.

I felt something sting across my finger and I hissed, drooping the potato and the peeler on the table as I looked down at my thumb. It wasn't serious, but enough to hurt and sting. I brought my finger up to my mouth to lick the blood. It was salty and thick.

"Heavens Matilda, careful. Go see Judith, patch up, and hurry back. Mash potatoes aren't going to cook itself.'' she said,

The door swung open and Mr. Summers walked in, her shoes that should have been left in the seventies clicked across the floor and her red lipstick gleaming against her pale skin. Uh-ho, she found out. I thought. ''Matilda, care to explain why your school left a message for me saying you left school early?" she asked.

*

''No, I'm too sick to go anywhere!" I fussed with Emily who was trying to tug my blanket off.

She scoffed, ''No you're not. You ignored me all last night when I asked why happen between you and Killian. You will tell me on the way to school.''

''I don't have to do shit.'' I said. ''And nothing, like I said.''

''Bullshit.'' she said and it sounds so weird hearing her curse. She was innocent as a household bunny. She only cursed when she was really either mad or to curious.

''Ever heard curiosity killed the cat?" I asked her.

"I have but that's not related towards me, you're just harder than a block of concrete. Don't make me get Max in here to drag you out of your bed.'' she said and I groaned. Max was a year younger than me and like Emily and I, no one wanted him. He may be a year younger than me, but he towered over me and was on the wrestling team.

"Get your booty up!" she said, slapping me on the butt and I groaned, throwing my blanket off me.

"Fine!" I said as I got up.

She smiled, "Good.''

She left the room and closed the door behind her. I kicked at the air, imagining it was her butt. Ugh, I was hoping to avoid going to school and avoid Killian and his pack of trouble makers. 

Did I just say pack? I thought to myself.

I changes out of my pajamas and into some washed out jeans, black tank top, and a man size red and white flannel shirt that was a little big on me. Hey, men's clothes are cheaper.

I put on my shoes and thought if I should do my hair. I didn't feel like even brushing it, so I pulled it up in a messy bun, strains falling out of it.

*

Getting out of the car with Dawn complaining how more careful I knew to be with kids passing the road. I walked towards the school building keeping an eye out on Marco group and a certain member.