xi.

I saw Killian waiting by the lake so I thought I would sneak up on him. I bit my lower lip, trying not to giggle as I came up behind him, and when I was I placed my hands on his shoulders and jumped onto his back, “Scared ya!”

“It’s impossible to sneak up on a wolf, Mat.” he said as his arms went around my legs and help me further up since I was slipping. “And you’re late.”

“I had to sneak out, sue me.” I said. “And how’d you get away from all mighty Lincoln?”

“My father is getting drunk with him and a few other men.” he said. He turned his head to look at me and I was met with his perfect blue eyes I could stare at all night. It was like staring up at the stars with a million of them in the sky. I remember going into the city a couple of times and hated it because I could hardly see the stars. The outline of gold in Killian sparkled like a star. He leaned his head towards mine, but I turned my head away, making him sigh.

“Friends don’t do that, Killian.” I said.

“And how would you know?” he asked, making me smile. “You try to pick a fight with every girl in school.”

“Not every girl.” I said. “Emily is my best friend.”

“She’s a freshmen and you share a room together, that’s different.” he said. “She smells like a human.”

“And what does a human smell like?” I asked. “Because I must smell like one a whole lot.”

“Humans smell like—clothes that been in the washer with no detergent and it dries. It has that weird smell.” he said. “You smell more like a wolf now that you’ve been around your own kind. It’s like a fresh earthy smell.”

“Do you eat humans?” I asked and he chuckled. “Serious questioned!”

“No, Hollywood made our kind into a monster.” he said. “We’re hardly monsters, we hunt animals like deer’s, rabbits, and squirrels.”

“Like you hunt them with guns or . . . or with your teeth. . .”

“Fresh meats always good.” he said and I made a look of disgust. “Wait until you turn, you’ll know what I mean.” He tilt his head back and pressed his nose against my hair, inhaling deeply. He kissed under my ear and my back stiffen a little.

I pulled my head back, “Killian,”

He sighed heavily as he pulled away, “Time, I know. You need time, but do you know how it feels to badly want something?”

“Yes, yes I do.” I said as I got down from his back and he turned to me. “And most of the time I didn’t get it.” He stared at me for a moment before putting his hands around my face and he kissed me quickly before I could stop him. My hands came up to his shoulders and I meant to push him away, but I felt so blown away from the kiss. It was blissfully good. My hands balled into a fist, grabbing some of his gray long sleeve shirt.

He pulled away and pressed his forehead against mine, but I kept my eyes closed, “Be mine.” he whispered.

I shook my head, “No.”

He sighed heavily, “Why not?”

“Because I never been anyone anything, I’ll just screw it up.” I said as I opened my eyes and pulled my head away. “I don’t know how to be perfect.”

“I’m not asking you to be perfect.” he said as he took my hand. “What are you scared of?”

Not belonging, I thought as I looked down at the ground. “You should be with some like Melinda, she’s perfect.”