The Identity of Crime : Prologue

PROLOGUE

It was dawn in Maxima, the sky was tinted with little orange. There were few flying ships across the planet. And most people were busy sleeping. Beneath the busy rooms of the Science Peak, there hid an underground laboratory. And in that ground...there hid an evil plan.

"His combat gears are now ready. But I am concern of his overall program, is it perfect?" Earl Lukash Henry Query asked, a fifty-six year old nobleman. Earl Lukash was the father of Christendom Query who was then a young master of the Henry House. He was the major sponsor of the Zion Project. The Earl was also the financer of the Silent Politics-a secret organization unbeknownst to society.

"Dr. Frost arranged Zion's launching two days from now. He's going to be tested in front of the Twelve. Do you think it's a good idea, father?" Christendom asked, he was twenty-five then.

Earl Lukash had a stern look upon his face. His stares were deep behind the transparent glass, it was tube-like, and it was filled with bubbly liquid. Inside the glass was a sleeping Zion-the first combat machine ever created. But Sean Priory junked him into Station 6 after his immediate failure. He was reconstructed though.

"We've waited five years, my dear son. And I think it's time to give a showdown, do we now?"

Christendom sighed. He stepped beside his father and said, "He looks perfect now. He looks so perfect that it seems scary. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as perfect in this world." Christendom turned to look at his father. "Are you not scared, father?"

"This is not the time to be scared, Christendom."

"You don't get it, father. I'm not scared of these machines."

Earl Lukash turned at him, dubious. "Aren't we? Then tell me, what is it that you're scared of, little lord? As my only son, I don't like it if you're afraid. Nobles like us can't show any signs of weakness."

Christendom gave him a poker expression, his blue eyes shrinked into something indescribable. He was suddenly unemotional. "Humans."

Earl Lukash was taken aback, but for a moment. He seemed to be studying his son's expression. Yet he couldn't overly read it despite being his father. This was the side of Christendom that he was often alarmed.

Christendom added, now looking back to Zion's tube, "Humans are more capable of killing intent. Machines, on the other hand, are nothing but programs. If Zion ends up killing a human, whose fault do you think it is, father?"

"Well, it's something that we can't blame to technology. Human error."

Human error.

_______________

Bzzzzzz! Bzzzzz! The alert echoed the whole laboratory around three in the morning. It was the day that Zion was to be tested, everything about him. Everyone who was involved in the Zion Project was gathered together in that day. The members of Twelve were also there, comforting themselves in each own chamber.

The Silent Politics was created by the Twelve-a group of twelve influencial people in Cenyth and Maxima. The Silent Politics were those people who wanted to eliminate the New Nation's realm. They were against to it from the start, and so they secretly formed this organization in hope to destroy the unified government. Earl Lukash and his son Christendom were one of the Twelve.

"Alert! All must proceed to the Safe Zone." The teller kept on echoing from the sound systems. Sudden chaos was infiltrating the whole place, guards were assisting the Twelve members out from their chambers. One of the Twelve, President Gana of Panes, was also there.

"Sire, you need to vacate this place," the guard told him.

"What's happening?" He asked.

"Zion got out from his tube. He's gone berserk! Ten guards are reported dead on the spot. And Mr. Mish was caught dead in his chamber." Mr. Mish was also one of the Twelve. He was a weapon expert from Maxima.

"What the? That's not supposed to happen, unless someone switched him on!"

"The Query Lord is with Zion, Sire." The guard informed President Gana as he led him on his safe path. The President stopped from his pace, shock devoured his face.

"What?"

"He did it. The noble did it."

President Gana felt like his world crumpled down in front of him. He was speechless in a brief moment.

"Which one?" He still managed to ask.

The guard was about to answer his question, but the wall crashed behind him. Debris started falling and the guard protected the President from it, causing him great injury. President Gana checked his pulse, and the guard looked at him in concern, until his eyes closed forever. The President closed his eyes in anger, but his grief was heavier. A guard just died in his behalf.

"Are you one of the Twelve?" A husky but mechanical voice shocked the President. As he looked up, he saw Zion in his flaming eyes, glaring daggers at him. The President stood up to match the tall machine.

"Why, you would kill me, too?"

"If you're a threat to my bearer, then yes."

"Zion! Stop it already!" A desperate voice came out. President Gana looked behind Zion, only to find a familiar face. The misty air covered half the face of the man, and the smoke coming from the lab was already spreading out. In great disbelief, President Gana fell on his knees.

"You?" The President gasped in agony. "Tell me...you didn't cause this, right? RIGHT?!!!"

Zion turned his arm into a sword, but his bearer stopped him, saying, "Don't kill him."

"He's not fond of you." Zion answered. "Sooner or later, he will desire of your death."

"I'm going to decide who to kill and not."

"What do you want me to do?" Zion asked.

"Delete this scene from his memory. And leave him be."

After that, the Query Lord went away.