22 - Lost Mission Part 2

Charlie Michaels

“Who upgraded my battery?” Zion asked as he rose up from the bed. His blue eyes turned into fascinating red. He looked at me briefly, as if scanning me, but he turned to Vasanti and walked to her. When he stopped in front of her, he said, “Who are you to touch my system?”

“Gosh. I was expecting a thank you,” Vasanti rolled her eyes in disappointment.

“You're not my bearer,” he said and I believed he was completely ignoring me NOW.

“Your battery is outdated, Zion. It should be discarded and replaced with a new one. You would thank me for that later on, if not now.” Vasanti replied. I walked to them. Now I got it. The reason why Zion was often shutted down was because of his outdated battery. Did Zion know that or not?

“The earl is missing, Zion. I suppose that's something you must concern yourself,” I told him. He quickly turned his head towards me, his eyes were still red. “...and it's something that I'm terribly at fault. I failed to protect him while you're gone.”

“Humans are capable of making errors. It's not you who failed, I did.” He corrected although I didn't get why he was saying that. “Where are we heading?”

“Back to the Headquarters.” I answered. Zion then stood by my side, then he whispered lowly as if not wanting Vasanti to hear, “We can't trust them.” That's something that my young lord told me too after our conversation with the President. I wouldn't be surprise if Zion thought the same.

“I know. What do we do?”

“They will arrest me as soon as I step out, unless I'll do some killing spree.”

“I beg to disagree, Zion.”

“I have a strong hearing skills, you know,” Vasanti interrupted.

“You take care of the women then,” Zion said to me, then he walked past by me.

“Well, what's your plan?” I asked.

“Destroy the Shield before it's too late.”

“You will what? You can't do that! That's the last resort to protect Panes—all of us from the cyborgs!” Vasanti shockingly said.

“Why would you do that?” I asked him. He halted from his pace. And he was facing the wall.

“There's a possibility that the earl's not in Panes anymore. Once the Shield is activated, he is forever lost. I shall not allow that.”

“We're all going to die! We're all going to be consumed by those freaking machines once you do that!” Vasanti curled herself as she fell on the ground. Then she stopped mumbling, and said as if there was hope, “Oh, you can't destroy the Shield. No one can. It's a Technology which you don't even know.”

“Unless I corrupt the Code System,” Zion said and he looked back to me. He pulled something out from his battlesuit, then he threw it at me. I caught it up while he said, “Do your thing, Mr. Butler. Contact me as soon as you find news about Chris.” Then we saw him firing an explosive to the wall, the impact made us to close our eyes. As I opened them again, Zion was nowhere to be found, leaving only the big hole on the bus. The alarms were ringing loud and the bus stopped.

I blinked as I opened my palm. The thing Zion threw at me was a tracker—the one which he implanted to me before. I decided to put it on my left ear. Then I heard Zion talking on the other line, “I lied. There's a person whom we can trust in the Headquarters.”

“Name it.”

“General Smith.”

***

Nathan Jones