15 - The Invasion Part 1

“Sires! This is Nanski, our ship is under attack!”

The ship trembled and I saw the caution in Charlie’s eyes. As always, he was very cautious. Not because he was afraid, but because he worried of his master’s safety—it was written all over his face. It was a nature of humans I could not really understand, but sometimes I would wonder how it really feels. Knowing the logical reasons was different from knowing how it would actually feel. Feelings and logic are contradictory. And all I knew was logic. That’s what programs were made of.

On the next alarm, Charlie turned away but I grabbed his arm. “Bring the earl inside the pilot room. It’s safe in there.”

“You still think I believe you after you poisoned me?” He asked, suddenly furious as he pulled away his arm. I should admit that he was a strong man compared to others.

“He’s right. The pilot rooms are the safest place inside the battle ships, Mr. Michaels. It was built that way.” A woman said and when I looked at her, she was nothing but foreign to me.

“Oh, a woman!” I gasped, my tone was sarcastic. Women were unlikable creatures to me. I was programmed to bear in mind that women were could be dangerous, especially when it comes to missions. Humanly speaking, I don’t like them!

I saw the hesitation in Charlie’s eyes, but he ended up sighing. He looked back to me only to give me his glaring eyes, as if sending me a warning. The words he said afterwards was out of my capacity to internalize. He said to the woman, “Please take the young lady and the earl inside the pilot room, Miss Vasanti.”

“What about you?” The woman said, I never wanted to remember her name.

“Just do what I said, please! Hurry now, we don’t have much time.” Charlie exclaimed and I saw the woman rolling her eyes, I could hear her muttering, “You’re the childish one.”

She immediately run out to the room and quickly after that, the ship was hit by something, Charlie lost his balance but I managed to control mine. I had an idea of his motive. But right now, I was busy checking my system. I muttered a curse when my battery level was only 70%. I hated going to a battle when not fully charge—I would always end up dying.

When I looked up, Charlie was already in front of me, and said, “Give me a gun.” I stared at him and he added, “I know you’ve got weapons there! You have poisons, I wouldn’t be surprise if you have deadly things inside your metal skin.”

“You’re still bitter, aren’t you?”

“The nerve! Just give me some weapons.” He yelled, losing what little patience he had.

“I can’t give you a weapon, everything I used has my digital signature, and no one else can wield them.”

“Oh, crap.” He palmed his temples.

I just rolled my eyes at him, then I took out my ZTE 25, a target engagement system gun which I barely used. I turned to exit the ship but I left him with some instructions, “Since you’re so desperate to help me fight, go to the lower cube. I believe there are guns in there, most ships have.”

“Thank you for telling me in the last minute!” He sarcastically said. I checked his endurance and it wasn’t that good—the wound in his side was still fresh, so I told him, “Don’t go outside though. Just stay here and finish the cyborgs which I might fail to destroy.”

“You can’t order me, I do what I want.” He insisted.

“Be careful with what you want, Mr. Butler. It could actually kill the earl.” I said then I was gone out of his sight. I left him with a pair of wide eyes.