23 - This is War Part 1

Nathan Jones

I felt the pressure on my fingers as I quickly typed the passcode to the Safe Room—the President's bunker. Lieutenant General and the others were right behind me, impatiently waiting for the bunker to open. As I successfully did, we all went in together. We gasped in disgust and despair as we saw six soldiers lying on the ground, lifeless and bathed on their own blood. President Gana was there sitting on his personalized chair, staring blankly at nowhere. He's the only one unharmed.

“Are you alright, Mr. President?” I asked as we went to his aid.

“Call the medics!” commanded the Lieutenant General. “Mr. President?”

We gained no respond from President Gana, he looked unusual and his stares were blank. When I touched his arm he started convulsing, then he looked at me with fear—a feeling he hadn't shown us before. He started in between his convulsing, “He killed them all. He did.”

“Endless?” I said, asking for confirmation. He twitched at the sound of his name.

“How could he do such a thing? He's my personal bodyguard! He tried..he tried to kill me too!” He pulled his neon hair out and I tried to stopped him. The President seemed to lost his sanity, although I believed that was only due to shock and denial. I admit that President Gana wasn't trained much for wars, he wasn't a soldier type of a person, so he was weak in terms of emotional distresss. He was the first President in Panes who wasn't a soldier first, he was a negotiator and a public icon, elected by people due to his popularity and business skills.

“He's a machine President Gana, he's been hacked, like everybody else.” I told him, just in time the medics arrived and assisted the President away from me. I hurt at the sight of his traumatic episode.

My G-watch rang so I pulled my left hand up, then I answered the call. It was the General. I turned the loud speaker. “How's the President?” He asked, making Sire George to looked at me with envy and despise, all because he was the Lieutenant General and yet I was the one whom General Smith called.

“He's not hurt, but he's okay,” I answered, ignoring Sire George's stares. “I believe however that it's time to pull out all gadgets from our officers, even if they seem to look okay. I suggest you order them to shut down their machines, General, before it's too late. Yes, yes, I do understand Sire. Thank you.” Then I ended up the line.

“You really have the guts to order the General, aren't you, Jones?” Sire George asked.

“I wasn't ordering him Sire, I was suggesting an idea.” I replied and walked out of the room. But I walked back inside and added, “Oh by the way, I know someone who gives orders without the General's permission. Good thing though, Zion escaped his exile to Station 6.” I shrugged my shoulders and left him mad.

Station 6 wasn't the right place for a combat machine like Zion. It was the place for people like Lieutenant General and machines like Endless. They could make a duo up there.

General Smith

Endless gave us at least three days to prepare and attack. And I wasn't agreeable to that, because the longer the hours spent, the longer the Shield was to retrieve. I don't get why Endless wanted us to prepare and plan our attack, but him telling us this might be a trap. So we really had to be careful after all. He's outside the North borders with the earl, and before we could meet him, we would encouter lots of cyborgs in the North. In other words, that means war.

At first, I hesitated to rescue the earl. There was no way we needed him alive. What we really need was to protect Panes from the cyborgs. However, we later found out that the hacker was Zion and when I called him, his first statement was, “Help me rescue the earl, only then I give back your Shield.”