First Day of School (kindergarten)

The sun gently rose on the sleepy town of Danville one fall morning, its light stretching down from the heavens to embrace whatever it could and filter wherever it was able. One of the places it peeped through was between two orange curtains. As the sun rose higher the light continued to creep forward until it settled on a large bed. The couple on the bed was still asleep, the sun's rays unable to wake them up. Phineas unconsciously turned his head slightly so the light wouldn't rest on his eyelids. His wife was snuggled against him, resting her head on his chest. Both were breathing lightly, and all was peaceful and quiet. Then...

    CRASH!

    The bedroom door flew open and in came a little, red-headed girl wearing a small sundress that matched her hair. She jumped on the bed and began to shake her father awake. "Dad! Dad!" she shouted excitedly. "It's time for school! It's time for school!"

    "But mom I already graduated," Phineas complained in a tired voice. "Just five more minutes...zzz."

    "No! Not you, me! Dad wake up! Wake up!" she shook harder. Phineas opened his eyes and began to stretch, this in turn woke up Isabella who seemed disappointed by the fact that her husband was getting out of bed. "Dad! You and mom promised you'd see me off on my first day!"

    "What time is it?" Isabella mumbled.

    "Let me check," Phineas said, looking at his watch. "Marie," he said to his daughter. "It's six o'clock in the morning. You don't have school for another two hours."

    "Yeah I know," Marie said simply before running out of the room.

    "She's more excited than me when it was my first day of school," Phineas yawned. "They never gave Ferb and I enough time to test out the modifications we made to the playground during recess."

    "Well I guess we'd better change," Isabella said. "I'm not going to stand outside in these."

    "Agreed." They were still in their pajamas. Phineas's were a dark green and Isabella continued to wear pink. They were wide awake after their shower and Phineas went to Marie's room to find the entire place turned upside down, literally. Marie appeared to be desperately searching for something. "What's wrong?" he asked.

    "I can't find mom's old bow!" she cried. "I was going to wear it to school today!"

    "Don't worry, I have it right here." Phineas held up a small bow but instead of the color pink it was a bright red. "You're mother and I decided to dye it a different color."

    "Oh it's beautiful!" squealed Marie as Phineas dropped the bow in her outstretched hands. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"

    "Alright I want this room right-side up and everything reorganized before you come down for breakfast. And I suggest you hurry, your mom's making pancakes and I feel extra hungry today. I just hate seeing an uneaten plate so I may feel obligated to...I don't know-"

    "Don't even think about touching my pancakes, dad! Besides I might as well come down now. Look." she pressed a small button on the left side of her door frame and the entire bedroom turned right-side up. Everything had fallen back into place.

    Phineas gave a long, fake sigh. "I guess that's less food for me," he said in mock defeat. "I guess if I can't get my extra pancakes I'll just have to settle with...you!" Marie screamed and ran down the stairs as Phineas chased after her, pretending to roar. "Where are you going, my tasty little morsel?" he shouted in a deep voice. He chased after her, eventually catching his daughter in the living room. She tried to break away but he began to tickle her ribs. Shortly after he pulled up her shirt and blew raspberries on her belly. Marie's laughs reached the kitchen and a smile came across Isabella's face as she continued to cook. Phineas came in the kitchen on all fours, Marie riding his back. "Onward!" she shouted happily. Phineas stopped next to one of three chairs. Marie got off and patted her dad on the head before sitting down. Phineas pretended to neigh in satisfaction, causing Isabella to laugh. A few minutes later she was passing out plates and they all sat at the table. After a few moments of silence Phineas suddenly spoke. "I don't know, Isabella," he said with a straight face. "I think Marie might not be ready for school. What's your thoughts on the matter? Do you think we should wait until she's at least ten?"