Confusing Times

"Wow! I wish I was there! I've never been to a family reunion," Zachary said in a disappointed voice. Marie was telling him about the Doofenshmirtz Family Reunion.

    "You've never been to a family reunion?" Marie asked surprised. "I thought everyone had family get togethers."

    "A get together is different from a reunion. Every Thanksgiving my grandmother and grandfather along with aunt Jessica and her three kids visit and stay a few days after that. That's a get together. What you're describing with all of your relatives from Drusselstein that's a reunion."

    "I'll have to disagree with you there. Whether on a small or large scale just meeting with people you care about is a family reunion to me. But if you want I can take you to the next one though I don't know when it'll happen. I was a baby when the one before took place."

    "I'm down for that. If I'm still around when that happens." He and Marie were eating ice-cream outside. They were sitting on the back porch of Zachary's house. Jasmine had a dentist appointment and Thomas was helping his dad set up for the next big event in his backyard. It was the first time they had been alone together ever since the dance. Zachary tried to push the thought out of his mind but it was hard. Little did he know Marie was having the same problem as the kiss swam back into her mind. "You better eat or that ice-cream's gonna melt fast." Zachary had noticed that his best friend was just sitting still, letting her ice-cream drip to the ground through a loose grip. She stirred at the sound of his voice and turned in his direction. "Are you alright?" She still didn't answer. Suddenly she remembered what Zachary had asked her on the moon. Do you love me? She could have sworn that she felt his lips on hers a second time as the memory of the dance became more vivid.

    "I can't do this," she said flatly.

    "What do you mean by that?"

    "I can't do this! You! Me! Us! Alone together! It just feels wrong without Jasmine and Thomas!"

    "What's so wrong about it?" Zachary began to grow angry. He knew what she was talking about but didn't want to hear it.

    "It's just that...being with you feels awkward! You and I both remember the dance! I wish I could forget-"

    "Why do you want to forget?" Zachary had jumped to his feet at these words and Marie dropped her ice-cream in fright. "I don't want to forget! I'm not scared to admit my feelings! I love you!"

    "Zach-"

    "Don't tell me to shut up! You and I both know that we can't avoid this situation forever! Why not talk about it now? Why can't you just give me your answer?"

    "I told you! I'm confus-"

    "No! I don't want to hear that stupid excuse again! Fine! If you can't stand being with me then go! Just go! In fact maybe we shouldn't see each other for a while! Yeah that sounds like the best course of action if I make you so uncomfortable! Why are you still here? I said go!"

    "Please listen to me-"

    "I said GO!" Tears welled up in Marie's eyes as she got to her feet. Her face was red with mixed emotions she failed to describe.

    "I-I guess I will go if th-that's how you really feel. Se-see you around, Zach." The tears were out now. She turned around and opened the back door to the house and went inside; coming out again through the front. Zachary stood his ground for a moment longer before sitting back down and putting his face in his hands with a groan. He felt horrible now. A moment later tears welled up in his eyes as well...

    Marie ran down the sidewalk, not bothering to hide the fact that she was crying. She burst through the front door of her house and ran up the stairs, only stopping to pick up Perry and to bring the semi-aquatic mammal in her room. She curled up on her bed and held the platypus close, crying her eyes out as she did so. Perry gave his usual impassive chatter. Marie began to calm down and eventually settled with stroking the monotreme's back as she continued to think about the fight. Fine! If you can't stand being with me then go! Her grip on Perry tightened. Why couldn't she stand it? Why was she so afraid of her feelings for him? All questions but no answers. Perry began to gasp for air. "Oh, sorry boy," she said when she realized that her grip had continued to tighten. She let go of him and turned over on her side. Perry didn't know what was bothering her but it seemed to upset his owner very much so despite the fact that she nearly crushed him he stayed by her side. Someone knocked on the door a few minutes later and Marie said, "Come in," in a shaky voice.