Drowning on Dry Land

Payton's Pov:

Outfit:

I was sat in class talking to Emma and Manny about our weekends when Mr

I was sat in class talking to Emma and Manny about our weekends when Mr. Raditch came and called me out of class. I stand up confused as I haven't done anything, at least I don't think I did anything.

"What's this about?" I ask him as we got to his office and I sat down in a chair.

"Payton, we just got some news about your grandmother," he tells me and I begin to panic she looked fine when I saw her two days ago.

"What is everything okay?" I asked quickly.

"She, uh, she died this morning. I'm so sorry Payton,"

As those words came out of his mouth I felt my world collapse. I knew she wasn't doing well and the nurses told me she wouldn't last much longer but I didn't think it would be this soon.

"You're welcome to go home," he tells me and I nod muttering a small thank you as I left his office and walked down the street.

🌸🌸🌸

I reached home and went straight into my room and cried. She was my best friend and now she's gone but I quickly remembered that what she told me 'be strong when I go, I don't want you to lose yourself.' 

She was right I wasn't going to lose myself but I couldn't help the sadness that came over me. I stood up and wiped my tears from my face and left the house without another word as I walked down the street to my mom's apartment. When I get there I knock on the door and she opens it and she sees my face and immediately pulls me in for a hug. I liked this being able to hug her.

"Hey, I heard I'm so sorry sweetie," she tells me.

"It's okay. It's not your fault," I tell her.

"How about you stay here for the night and we can watch a movie and order some pizza. How does that sound?" she asked making me smile as I nodded.

"Yeah, that sounds great." and that's what we did for the rest of the night eating pizza, watch movies and talk about the good times with my grandma sharing funny stories with each other.

"Hey, so I wanted to tell you that I got a job," she tells me.

"That's great," I reply. I know she's been struggling to get a job so I'm happy for her.

"Yeah, it's in San Francisco," She tells me and I can tell she's nervous about my reaction.

"Oh," I didn't know what else to say I mean she only just came back and now she's leaving again.

"I was thinking of taking you with me,"

"Really?" I ask her.

"Yeah, we've come so far and I want you to stay with me and I wouldn't have taken the job if there was a better offer but there wasn't. And you can stay until the end of the school year,"