Small café

✯¸

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ Sixteen ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

''You're joking!'' Mai said as she pointed at you with her spoon after she started eating the whipped cream off her hot chocolate. You and her decided to catch up in a café nearby.

''Yeah, she told me and wanted me to be happy for her!'' you glared at Mai who laughed.

''How are you supposed to be happy? She's going to marry the love of your life!''

''Yeah,'' you sighed and stared down at your hot drink, thinking whether you should tell her about you and Kurapika or not. You took a deep breath and told her everything. From the start to where you are now.

''Wow, that's a lot'' she whispered and bit her bottom lip as she stared down at the table, ''I know you love him, but I think you and Kurapika have to be honest to Rin. Or don't date''

You sighed. You knew she was right and this was unfair to Rin, but you weren't even sure what to do. Rin definitely had something on him otherwise he would've left her. But then again, he went to comfort Rin tonight, not you. It was like one day he loved her and the other day he loves you.

''And Azami?'' she asked, ''still single?''

You knew Mai has had a crush on Azami since forever, but he never seemed interested. Maybe it was his crush on you that made him uninterested in her. You laughed it off, feeling a bit uncomfortable to talk about your best friend like that.

''So, Rin's preggo'' Mai suddenly said as she nodded to herself as if she wanted to make herself believe her own words. I mean, it was hard to believe sometimes. Especially in your situation. It was messed up for you.

You hummed and she took a sip of her hot drink, hissing because of the warmth. She looked up at you and noticed the sad atmosphere lingering in the room, ''it must be hard for you''

''It is, especially if he suddenly decides to comfort her instead of me. I don't want to talk bad about her, but she never liked Azami. Why would she care about him being in the hospital? Why would she need his comfort more than me?''

''Wait, he's in the hospital?''

''Yeah, I thought I told-''

''You didn't. What's up with him? Is he okay?''

You pursed your lips together, realising you couldn't rely on her giving you comfort. She only cared about Azami's well-being, and of course, you did too. You cared about it more than anyone, but every now and then it's nice to spill all of the burdens in your heart.

''I'm sorry'' she apologises and you nod your head, avoiding eye contact with the girl in front of you, ''I see Azami from time to time in stores, but get too shy to talk to him''

''Why? He's your friend''

''Mhm, but I like him more than a friend''

''I see. I'm not sure if he's interested in anyone other than the girls in his games, though'' you laughed, knowing it's probably even true. He used to be interested in you though. Mai gave you a soft chuckle, knowing you were right most likely.

''I just don't know what to think of you and Kurapika now'' she admitted. You instantly felt iffy and regretted telling her a thing. It's not like you couldn't handle any criticism, you knew that if everything goes to plan, you'll receive a shit ton of criticism. But you already felt bad enough and wanted some positive aura, you needed it at this point. The drama was making you feel sick to your stomach, you wanted a normal end of your day.

''I get that it's hard to understand. But I've always loved him, Mai, you know that. There hasn't been a day of me not missing him and thinking of him. When Rin told me she's going to marry him, I didn't know what to feel, think or do.''

''But why would you create so much drama for yourself? How many years has it been Y/N?''

''Nine''

''Have you even given yourself a chance to move on from him? You're telling me you wouldn't even allow yourself to move on. You let yourself think of him''

''It's not like I could just forget him. It's not that easy and you know that. Look at you, still crushing on a boy who's only interested in pixel girls'' you started to grow annoyed at Mai. You know what she was trying to tell you. 'Break up with him it's not worth it'. She didn't even try to understand.

''I'm not trying to argue with you, Y/N!'' Mai snickered, ''I'm just telling you my opinion. You're creating drama that probably gives yourself a headache. You're creating drama for Rin and you're ruining a relationship.''

You kept quiet, thinking about her words deeply. You bit your bottom lip as you started to realise she was right. It had been nine years already and all of this could've been avoided. You wish things went differently.

''You can't expect me to agree with your actions all the time.''

''Of course not. I'm at my wits end, Mai. My best friend is almost dying. My sister hates my guts. My parents probably want to disown me at this point. The love of my life is marrying someone else and probably can't make his damn mind up again. My life's going to shits. All I wanted is to cry my heart out to someone without getting fucking judged by everything I do. It's tiring. I can take criticism. I understand you want to speak your mind, but sometimes I don't want to hear someone talk to me. Or whatever. Whatever! Fuck!''

You throw your hands up in the air, admitting defeat. You were tired of your own problems because you didn't know how to make them go away or how to solve them. It was tiring and you've had enough. Of absolutely everything.

''I— I'm sorry ... I'm sorry,'' you breathe out, hiding your face in your hands as you shake your head slowly, ''I know what I'm doing is wrong, but I just don't know what to do anymore. I love him, Mai, so much. There's just something about him and I can't let him go. I know it's been nine years and I know I should have moved on, I tried. But when I saw him again after all those years all of my feelings just came back and it is too much.''

Mai's eyes soften and you felt her take your hand in hers, her thumb brushing gently over your skin. You moved your hands away from your face and met her eyes. She smiled at you and pouted as she looked at your sad face. ''It's okay, Y/N. You have to talk to Rin when you're ready. Both of you are making mistakes that need to be talked about. Do you promise me you'll talk to her soon? I know you love Kurapika, but make sure you're doing things the right way.''

''Thank you Mai ... I promise I will talk to Rin. I'm sorry for bothering you and being dramatic tonight, I'll take my leave now,'' you sighed and smiled weakly at Mai, who was still smiling at you. You nodded once and stood up, leaving Mai and the small café.