Chapter 19

A ringing sound is filling my ears and it won't stop. My head is spinning. I flutter my eyes open, the area is gray around me and the figure in front of me is blurry. I blink, awkwardly trying to get my vision to clear.

Max?

As my vision clears I can tell it's Max I am seeing. I'm lying on the ground I think. Max has my upper body laying on his legs, with one of his hands holding the back of my head. What's happening?

My lips part slightly and Max quickly looks down at me. A bright smile forms on his lips but I see the tears. Max, why are you crying? I see his lips move but I can't hear him, the loud ringing noise cancelling out any other noise. He runs his fingers down the side of my face. I want to reach up for him, but my body is numb, I can't feel anything. I don't understand what is going on. My mind is fuzzy. Am I dreaming? Hallucinating?

I become dizzy again, and my head starts to feel like it weighs two hundred pounds. Max looks up and his mouth is moving fast, over the ringing I can almost hear him. He seems to be barking orders and he points his other arm not holding me out. My vision begins to blur again, the darkness starting to form on the border of my sight. Max looks back down at me, I think he smiles but I fall unconscious once more.

~<I>~

Everyone is fighting around me, I seem almost invisible to them like I am in my own protected bubble. People throw punches, wolves snap their strong jaws at one another and magic twirls in the palms of some. The fog isn't around me, only them. What's happening here?

I frantically look around, I can't move. It's like my feet are glued to the ground. I look down, struggling to move and I spot something. My arms hanging at my side are covered in red. I raise my hands slowly. My palms are covered in blood, the liquid thick and dripping to the ground.

I look back up, frightened and realize that everything has gone quiet. Worse, everyone around me is on the ground, hearts ripping out, limbs missing, blood everywhere. They're all dead.

I spot someone alive, crouched down next to a body, their hands also covered with blood. Did they do this? "Did you do this?" I scream in fear. My voice echoes, and bounces back into my ears.

"No," The voice replies, but theirs does not seem to echo. The person slowly stands up, their voice way too familiar. "But you did." The person turns and runs to stand right in my face. I cannot comprehend what I am seeing but I see her clearly.

I scream and sit up swiftly. I open my eyes again and look around breathing heavily. I'm in a bed, in a room, no one is lying dead around me. I check my hands for blood, but they're clean just with a couple cuts and scars.

I saw myself, it was me. I was the one crouched over the dead body. Red eyes, fangs out, blood covering more than just my palms. I was the one who did everything.

Just as I wiped the sweat that formed above my brows, the door in front of me busts open hitting the wall beside it with a loud bang. I jump. Max walks in quickly and scans the room like he is looking for an intruder.

Wait, "Max?" How is he here? No, no. How am I here? Isn't this his room. What happened?

When Max seems to have confirmed to himself that I am the only one in the room, he looks at me and smirks. "Yes, it is me." He says but he almost sounds annoyed. He walks over to me, and sits at the foot of the bed.

"What's going on?" I search my brain for any idea of what has happened recently. My memories seem a little foggy right now and I have a major headache.

"You're safe now." He whispers but doesn't look me in the eyes. Max reaches his hand out to me and I don't hesitate to take it. He's so warm, I want more. I want to hug him but instead I squeeze his hand. It will do for now. Something really seems to be bothering him.