Chapter 4

"Of course." I groan and take my gun out once again. I push a powerful growl past my lips, threatening them. "Max.." I say slowly out the side of my mouth, "Run."

"What? No! No way am I leaving you here." He replies. I couldn't protest as one of the wolves came snapping at me. I land on my back, the wolf on top of me. I shot it in the stomach and it rolls off of me, whimpering. It is much harder to kill a werewolf in its wolf form.

Two out of the three of them came punching on top of me. Their jaws snapping in my face. One of them steps on my wrist so I could no longer use my gun. I could already feel the bruises beginning to form as they pressed all their weight on me. I punch and kick, keeping their large jaws away from my face. I scream as their claws dig deeper into my skin, the blood pouring out of me. I have no idea what to do next and shifting is no longer an option. It's two against one and I have no idea where Max is, I imagine fighting the third rogue.

I want to give up, let this be my time, move on to a better life, away from my father and these rogues. Then the loudest, most powerful growl I have ever heard fills the air, and the rogues turn their attention in that direction.

Another wolf jumps at the rogues, throwing every single one of them off of me. Then he protectively stood in front of me, growling. Max.

The three wolves begin to fight. I slowly sit up from the cold ground and examine my scars. My clothes have little holes from the rogues nails in them. My skin is punctured and blood is strickling out of each one as if I was a human pincushion.

I look at Max and watch him fight them off easily. He is winning against the two rogues, it's very obvious that he is much stronger than them.. The sound of growling, snapping teeth and scraping was the only thing that filled the air. I sat there, feeling every new cut that was now painted on my canvas, while the red paint of blood spilled around me. My hands covered in my own blood. I lay back down to avoid the spinning feeling filling my head.

I hear whimpering, footsteps running away and then complete silence. I look up and Max's wolf is walking towards me as two wolves run in the opposite direction, away from us. Max whimpers and bows his head towards me.

"I'm fine." I say slowly and pet his fur. It's a little matted from the fighting but I bet on normal days it's soft. The world starts to go blurry around me, Max stares into my eyes but I can barely see him straight. My body becomes hot and the last thing I remember is falling backwards.

------

When I finally begin to open my eyes, I can feel the presence of two people around me. Immediately I'm awake, and with my eyes wide open. Where the hell am I? A woman is near me in a white coat, she seems to be examining me. "Can I help you?" I growl and she looks up at me, surprised to see that I am awake.

"She's just helping, it's okay." I hear Max's voice and it calms me down but not enough. He's leaning against the wall, bags under his eyes, looking directly at me.

The lady turns to her table next to her and grabs a needle. "What is that?" I push myself against the beds backboard away from her.

"Hey it's alright, it's only to help you." She says to me, trying to bring the needle to my legs.

"Don't touch me with that!" I scream, trying to get away even more but there is no where to go. I reach for her, daring to snap her wrist if need be.

"Zapphire, calm down, it's alright." Max tells me she is trying to help but he just doesn't understand. I show my wolf eyes and teeth beginning the growl at her. She reminds me of Nikki, who knows what is in that thing. Max grabs my shoulders to hold me back.