Chapter 3

"Hello Zapphire." My brother stalks towards me. He knows. How? Does he know? Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

The words repeat in my head over and over again with how screwed I am. "What are you doing?" I cringe trying to seem normal and unaffected. If this is just a warning, a lesson or Shawn's revenge, I need to play it cool. I'm not risking any of us getting hurt.

"Oh ya know," He smirks, "I thought we could have some fun. You know, Alpha, Beta time. Like the old days." Shawn reaches for something and Max growls.

"Ah..." I go along with it, "Not sure if you can tell but I'm ready to pass out, maybe another time, yeah?" I smile hoping for this to go my way.

"Don't be stupid Zapphire!" He turns, getting in my face. What he grabbed was a knife and he places it against my chin. I push my teeth together and throw a low growl at my brother. Max behind me as well growls more powerful than my own and I can hear the ropes beginning to rip as he struggles to get free. "Do you really think you could get away with this? That you could walk around and no one would know? Hell Zapphire you walked in reeking of his scent. How long do you think you could have gone without someone finding out that you have found your mate. Lucky for us some men working their shifts found him wandering at the edge of our territory line." Shawn emphasizes the word mate and basically spits in my face.

My heart begins to race and I ball my hands into fists. A tight pressure pushing in my forehead, a migraine hitting me and the pressure behind my eyes burns like I am about to shift. The pain is almost unbearable. I've never felt anything like this before. I hold my ground against it and focus my vision on Shawn, "I- um well-"

"I actually don't want to hear it." Shawn steps away from me spinning the blade between his fingers. "You already know what needs to be done." He steps to the side giving me the perfect view of Max.

"Your mate will die when you find him." I remember my father telling me years back. Young and barely knowing what that means yet I agreed to it. The pressure builds within my head and I'm afraid of what may happen next. Something is wrong. I take deep breaths trying my hardest to let the air reach my lungs. In my time of focusing on my head and my wolf I didn't notice what layed in the center of Shawn's palm as he held it out to me.

"No Shawn." I tell him, looking back into his eyes rather than the gun. "Screw you and that stupid agreement! I'm not doing that!" It wouldn't matter if Max was my mate or not, he's clearly innocent and I don't kill random people like Shawn and Father do.

"Fine." Shawn groans in frustration and moves his hand from out in front of me. "Then I will." In a swift movement, he turns at Max and points the gun to his chest. Directly where his heart is. There are four ways to kill a werewolf. Too much wolfsbane intake/on the skin, a bullet to the head or heart, or completely ripping out the heart from the body. The sight of my mate with a gun to his heart makes something inside of me boil. Suddenly, I'm no longer myself, I feel a rage of fire within my chest. It's like I can no longer control my actions. I walk to my brother, my feet feeling as if they are moving on their own.

"Never turn your back on an enemy." My voice speaks but I don't recall wanting to open my mouth. My hands wrapped around his head and it was a quiet twist, snap. Then he collapses to the ground.

I blink and look down at my hand, curling my fingers in. I've snapped back to reality. I just snapped my own brother's neck? Mumbles from Max break me from my confusion and I quickly remove the cloth around his mouth. "What just-?"

"I don't know." I quickly say, I do not want to talk about it. Weird things are happening to me and it's not making any sense. "But we have to go, before he wakes up or worse, My father finds us." I reach for the ropes holding feet together but flinch back when the wolfsbane makes contact with my skin.