Second Hand News

Stevie walked into the studio, late as always. She saw Lindsey and was attracted to him like a magnet. Before she could get to him, a lean blonde figure stepped in and sat on Lindsey's lap, marking her territory. 

"Stevie, you're late again! Come on we talked about this!" Lindsey told her, very annoyed. She could hear his eyes roll from across the room. Stevie ignored Lindsey and walked over to Christine who was smoking a joint behind the piano.

"I thought these were closed sessions? As per your  rules, Mr. Buckingham?" Stevie retorted looking the mysterious blond woman up and down. 

"This is Carol Ann. Relax, Stevie. I said these sessions would be closed to the public. We've been going out for a little while now, so I figured it was time to bring her in and meet everyone" 

Stevie was furious. She didn't know if it was all her new and strange hormones, but she wanted to cry. She couldn't believe Lindsey would already be dating again. They had been together only a month ago, and he's already with some other groupie. She glared at Lindsey and walked over to Christine, who was standing in the opposite corner at her piano. 

"Hey love, want some?" Christine stuck the joint out and offered it to Stevie. Instinctively, Stevie reached her hand out to take Christine up on her offer, but she put her hand down. "No thanks, I'm good for now." Christine thought that was strange. There had only been two other times when Stevie turned down a joint, and each time she was preg-  no, she couldn't be, thought Christine. Christine knew that she would have to try and get Stevie alone today to talk to her. 

As Stevie greeted the rest of the band, Lindsey started to give everyone directions. Everything that Lindsey told Stevie, she of course wanted to protest, but didn't. She went along with everything he said as to not upset him. She still didn't know how to tell him the hopefully good, news. 

"Hey, Nicks, whatdya say you and I go touch up our makeup?" Christine asked Stevie in her endearing British accent. "Eh, I think I'm okay for now" Stevie responded as she looked at herself in the reflection of the piano. "No, no, I think we should go touch up our makeup." Christine grabbed Stevie by the elbow and started to lead her out of the room to be alone. 

"Hurry back," Lindsey sarcastically yelled at the women. 

Christine yanked open the bathroom door, and checked each stall to make sure it was completely empty. She didn't need anyone, especially Carol Ann, to hear this conversation. 

"So, got anything to tell me?" Christine raised an eyebrow to Stevie. 

"No, I don't think so. Why did you bring me in here?" Stevie answered, playing coy, as she was well aware Christine could read her out better than anyone in the world. 

"You don't think I've figured it out? Come on, you're pregnant!"
"What? How-"

"Your first tell was turning down a smoke. You're never one to turn me down, especially when we're in the studio. The second tell was you not screaming at Buckingham. You got a little fiery before, but you stopped yourself before having a full meltdown."

Stevie stomped her foot and Christine looked at Stevie's hands. 

"And you're wearing that gold band, too. You're really not trying to hide anything, huh?"

"I can't believe you figured it out. Please don't say anything to anyone. I haven't told Lindsey."

"Oh, thank God Lindsey is the father. That would've been World War Three. You're sure, like, sure right?"

"Of course I'm sure! We were together like a month ago. I called him last night when I found out, but a woman, I guess that chick Carol Ann answered and I just hung up. I can't believe he's already gotten over me, Chris. How am I supposed to tell him now?"

"Oh honey, that boy is far from over you. He's always looking at you, gazing across the room like some sort of Romeo. I saw him notice your ring and a sweet smile spread across his face."

"Really?" Stevie lit up with happiness and ran back into the studio. 

The band finished up for the night and said their goodbyes. Finally seeing Lindsey without Carol Ann attached at his hip, Stevie figured now was her time to tell him. 

"Hey, Linds, I gotta talk to you for a sec." She fiddled with the gold band on her thumb.

"Sure, what's up?" Lindsey rested a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Well, do you remember when we...about a month ago-"

"Hey baby, ready to go?" Carol Ann sauntered up to the pair oblivious to the conversation. 

"Uh, yeah. Finish telling me tomorrow, I gotta go." Lindsey took Carol Ann by the hand and the pair left Stevie alone in the studio.