The Nightmare

That night, Stevie was exhausted from her day filled with excitement and the early stages of planning for her wedding. She still hadn't shaken her feeling that had begun at he drug store. It felt like sort of a cramp in her stomach, one like she would have with her period sometimes. She made some tea and got into her bed to write. 

Little One~

Well, it's official! Your Daddy and I are going to get married! We hope before you come into our world, and we couldn't be happier. Your Daddy got your puppy sister, Ginny to help propose and he picked out the most perfect ring. I don't think Ginny helped pick that out though. Your Daddy is sleeping next to me, he never stays up as late as me. I know you will certainly change that soon enough, but I couldn't be more excited about that! Your Grandma Barbara and Grandpa Jess are here this weekend, and they have no idea that you're in my tummy. I know they are going to love you as much as I already do. 

Goodnight, Little One. I love you~

Mommy

Stevie closed her journal and finished her tea while Lindsey slept quietly besides her. She eventually fell asleep, that pain still in her stomach when she woke up a few hours later in more intense pain. She got up from the bed, as to try and not disturb Lindsey and went into the bathroom when she noticed some blood. Her face turned pale white and she felt everything fall apart. Not this. This can't be happening again. 

"Lindsey. Lindsey, wake up. Honey I'm...I'm...we need to go to the hospital."

The car ride to the hospital was silent as Stevie kept replaying that fateful night a few years ago where this exact scene played out for the couple. She knew how it was going to end and she felt so guilty. 

"Linds, I'm so sorry" Stevie finally said quietly when they arrived. 

"No, don't say that. We don't know anything. Just listen to the doctor, ok?"

The couple were ushered to a more private section of the hospital as they noticed some wandering eyes of people they assumed were fans of Fleetwood Mac. 

The doctor came into the room to check on Stevie and run an ultrasound. Throughout the whole process, Stevie's hand was like a death grip on Lindsey's. She felt ashamed; she felt like she wouldn't be able to do the one thing a woman was supposed to do and she was sad she couldn't do this for Lindsey. 

"Well," the doctor interrupted Stevie's deep thoughts, "I think you'll be pleased to hear two heartbeats."

"Mine and the baby's? I thought...but what about the cramps? And the blood?" Stevie asked, relieved that there was a heartbeat, but sightly confused. Her hand loosened from Lindsey's a bit, but she still clung to him like a life preserver.  

"Miss Nicks, that would be three heartbeats. Congratulations, you're having twins! And for the cramps and bleeding, that can be common in first time mothers carrying multiples, especially women on the smaller side like yourself. Now what you need to do to keep these babies healthy is eat! You're eating for not just one or two, but three now!" 

Stevie felt guilty as the years of cocaine had suppressed her appetite enough to make her only skin and bones, but she was determined to stay healthy for her two babies now. She looked over at Lindsey as the doctor congratulated the couple again and left the room. He was white as a ghost and looked terrified. 

"Two? Babies?" Lindsey finally said. "How are we going to do that? I'm so scared for this. What if I'm not good enough for two?"

"Linds, we'll be fine, ok? Just trust me. You're going to be an amazing father and an amazing husband. Please, we'll be ok. Trust me, I love you. We love you." Lindsey felt reassured from her words and gave her a tight hug then bending down to kiss her stomach at two different spots. 

"Now, let's go get some breakfast" Stevie announced, as it was around 5am. Her parents would probably be waking up soon as their sleep schedule was quite different than their rock star daughter's was. 

When the couple finally returned home after their breakfast, they were greeted with Barbara and Jess sitting down, drinking their morning coffee and reading the paper. 

"Teedee, what are you doing? I don't think I've ever seen you awake at this hour, unless you didn't sleep the night before! Where were you two?" Barbara exclaimed as she put her coffee down. 

During their breakfast date, Lindsey and Stevie decided that they would tell Barbara and Jess about the twins and they also would call Lindsey's mom, Ruth, to tell her all of their news that day. 

"We were at the hospital" Stevie nervously picked at her thumb while Jess's eyes shot up from his newspaper as he immediately became worried and more focused on the conversation. He couldn't bare hearing that anything happened to his daughter or to Lindsey, who was like a son to him, even though he knew that he terrified the poor boy.  

"It's not bad" Stevie quickly added, realizing that she should've led with that. "Mom, Daddy, you guys are going to be grandparents!"

"Stephanie! This is incredible!" Barbara's face lit up with the news.

"Well...we've known for a little bit now and were going to wait to tell everyone until after the wedding, so for now we're only telling you two and Ruth. I was bleeding last night and having some cramps, but it turns out that we're actually having twins!"

"Dear lord, twins?" Jess said with disbelief in his voice when his scrunched face turned into a smile as he became excited about having not just one but two grand babies to love.