Family Man

"Excuse me, Mr. Buckingham, we can bring your son back to you, if you would like."

Lindsey, still sitting on the floor outside of Stevie's room was in a haze. He kind of shrugged off the nurse and walked into the waiting room instead. 

He joined his mother and in-laws in a zombie like fashion. Instead of bringing happy news that both of his children had been delivered safely, he just moved in silence and sat down with tears in his eyes.

"Lindsey, honey, what happened? Are the babies ok? Is Stephanie?" a very concerned Barbara asked while Ruth took his hand.

"I don't....I don't know." Lindsey dropped his head. "After a boy was born she passed out and she....she was bleeding and then the doctors took her away. I don't know what's happening. I'm so sorry, this is all my fault." For some reason, Lindsey felt guilty. He thought if he had never gotten Stevie pregnant, she would not be in this type of danger right now.Lindsey went into his mothers arms to be comforted. Ruth, Jess, and Barbara were all speechless. 

"Where's the baby?" Jess asked.

"I don't know, the nurse said she would bring him to me, but I just couldn't. I'm a horrible father already"

"Lindsey, let's go talk for a second" Jess made Lindsey get up to talk with him to try and find out more information. 

"Now if I heard you correctly, you said you have a son now?"

"Yeah, I just can't do this without Stevie. I can't be a father without her there being a mother."

"Well, whether you like it or not, you have to be a father to that child no matter what happens. I need you to buck up and take care of my grandson. He is your blood and he is mine. I don't know what is happening, but you need to do this, for Stevie." Jess sniffled a bit and Lindsey noticed he too was crying. 

With that in mind, Lindsey's Papa Bear instincts kicked in and he went back to the nurse's station to finally meet his son. The nurse led him back to the hospital nursery and she placed the tiny boy into Lindsey's arms. He had deep blue eyes, just like his, and a nose that perfectly matched Stevie's. Tears were brought to his eyes as he couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with emotion. 

"Hello, Mr. Buckingham. Stephanie had a bit of hemorrhaging after delivering the first baby. In order to prevent her from loosing more blood, we had to give her a transfusion and deliver your second baby via cesarian section. She'll be just fine, a little sore from the operation, but she's sleeping now and will wake up soon." the doctor told Lindsey. After hearing this, a giant weight the size of a boulder seemed to be lifted off of Lindsey's shoulders. His girl was going to be okay after all. 

"So the other baby is okay too?"

"Ah, yes, congratulations! You're the father to a perfect baby girl! Come this way, I'll show you to Stephanie's room. I believe your daughter is sleeping in there too. I'll have a second crib brought up for your son."

Lindsey walked in and saw his beautiful wife laying there, looking so tiny and helpless. He thanked God that she was okay and that both babies were okay. He finally met his baby girl, and she was just as perfect as her brother. Lindsey knew that Stevie would be over the moon with a baby girl and a baby boy. It was going to be perfect.

Barbara, Ruth, and Jess eventually made their way into the room to meet their grand babies while Stevie still slept. They were so smitten with the babies and Lindsey forgot that he and Stevie never decided on any names. For the time being, he just called them Baby Boy and Baby Girl.

Eventually, everyone left and it was only Lindsey, Stevie and the two babies in the room. He started to doze off when he felt fingernails brush over his hand. He shot right up and watched Stevie as she came to.

"Where are my babies?" she squeaked out.

"Steph, they're fine. You did great."

Stevie smiled and woke up. She looked and saw her two babies sleeping in rollaway cribs next to her. Tears flooded her eyes and Lindsey brought them to her. 

"They're perfect, Linds" her smile lit up the room, and they both had never felt this amount of love for anyone else, and they both felt complete.