Gold Dust Woman

Lindsey's eyes went wide with fear as he said "come again?"

"Lindsey, we gotta go. I think it's time."

A message coming over a loud speaker said "One minute and thirty seconds until air. Please make your way back to your seats."

Lindsey shot up and started to leave before the show started again when he got halfway to the door, and quickly turned around realizing he forgot Stevie. She was waddling slowly behind him, trying to keep up.

"Oh no, don't wait up! I'll get there eventually. There's nothing important you need from me" Stevie sarcastically said. "And don't worry, I told the rest of the band we were leaving to go pop some kids out." 

"I'm sor-"

Stevie bent over in pain as she grabbed onto Lindsey. "Alright Linds enough with the small talk, let's get this show on the road."

Immediately as they left the room, the doors to the auditorium shut behind them. Their award should be announced any second now and as much as Lindsey and Stevie were upset to miss it, they would miss it a million times over if it meant they would meet their children soon. 

Lindsey helped Stevie into the car and he was thankful that in his nervousness he'd had a couple of go-bags stashed in various rooms in their house, in a few of their cars, and even in the studio.

"Oh dear lord, I need to get out of this dress" Stevie said as she tried to unzip herself. Lindsey reached over and unzipped it to where she would be more comfortable. 

Lindsey drove, too fast for Stevie's liking, to the hospital and the couple were quickly and quietly ushered into a private room. 

"Alright Mrs. Buckingham, you've got a long night a head of you. Also, congratulations on the big win!" the doctor turned to leave the room.

"Wait! Big win? Do you mean the Grammys?" Stevie asked the doctor. She and Lindsey had honestly both forgotten about the big night because they had some more pressing matters to attend to at the moment. 

"Ah, you don't know! Yes, I just saw on TV that Fleetwood Mac won Album of the Year!"

Stevie and Lindsey looked at each other and turned on the small TV in their room. They caught the Mac's acceptance speech just in time. They heard Christine's voice as she said "Well, I'm sure you're wondering where the Buckinghams went, and they had to run and deliver a couple of kids. Hope you're hanging in there Stevie, and feel free to knock Lindsey around a bit if you need to get some aggression out!" Lindsey and Stevie laughed along with the televised crowd and Lindsey moved in for a big hug and a kiss when Stevie let out a scream.

"Jesus Christ, don't you come near me, Buckingham! This is all your fault!" she grabbed Lindsey's hands and her red nails dug into his hands. 

The moment passed, and Stevie asked "Did you call everyone? My parents won't be able to get here for a few hours, but I know your mom will get here sooner if she wants to come. Also, make sure to call Chris and everyone else. I'm sure everyone knows because Christine announced it to the world, but I think they wanna hear from you too."

"Yeah, ok. Of course, honey, I'll be right back. Love you." Lindsey left the room to make the quick phone calls. He was met with excitement and congratulations for their new award and the babies.

The hours passed slowly and Stevie was exhausted. Lindsey felt horrible because there was nothing he could really do to make her feel any better, and he hated seeing her in pain. 

By morning, there were no changes. Stevie was in and out of sleep the whole night and Lindsey was anxious as ever. He couldn't sit still.

"Lind, you gotta try and relax for a second. Just breathe. These things take time" Stevie said, her mouth full of ice chips that Lindsey brought her a few minutes ago.

"I know, but should it take so long? Like, is this normal?"

"I was in labor with you for almost 27 hours, so you better get comfortable!" a familiar voice echoed through the room.

"Mom, you're here!" Lindsey wrapped his Mom in a hug, immediately relaxing at her touch.

"Of course I am. I wasn't going to miss this! Hi Stephanie, you look beautiful, how are you feeling?" Ruth tucked some stray and sweaty hair behind Stevie's ear and gave her a kiss on the forehead. 

"I'm tired. Everything hurts." Stevie said.

"Well, it'll be over before you know it. I talked to your parents and they said they were on their way, so they will be here soon, too!" Ruth answered, in a reassuring and maternal voice. 

Eventually what felt like a million hours passed and after a long day of waiting, it was finally time to push. Stevie's parents and Lindsey's mother waited eagerly in the waiting room. The pair's respective siblings and other family members visited too, but Stevie told everyone to go home. She felt bad making them wait that long. 

"Ok, Mrs. Buckingham, let's start pushing!" the doctor enthusiastically instructed. 

Stevie started pushing and she'd screamed louder than she ever has before. Louder than in any performance of Gold Dust Woman. 

"Good job, keep going!"

Lindsey started to crane his head to see what was going on down there, but Stevie grabbed him.

"Don't you dare look Lindsey!" Lindsey whipped his head back to meet Stevie's fiery eyes. 

After a few more pushes, the first baby was finally born. Stevie was holding onto Lindsey's hand for dear life. He thought he was going to have bruises after this. 

"Congratulations, it's a boy!" the doctor said and a tear came to Lindsey's eye. Suddenly his hand was not being crushed anymore, and when he looked at Stevie, she was out cold. All of a sudden machines started beeping and nurses starting running around and promptly ushered him out of the room. 

"Stay with us Stephanie, you're not done yet. She's lost too much blood, we gotta go" Lindsey heard the doctor say before seeing the doctors rush Stevie into another part of the hospital.

"But that's my wife" Lindsey said defeatedly. He didn't know what was happening. He slid down the wall and started crying. He didn't know where his wife was, or if she was alive for that matter, and he didn't know where his son was. 

He had a son.