29| I owed him a dance

"Please let me take it off, I've tripped three times. You're meant to be guiding me you know..." I moaned attempting to pull my hand from his grasp demandingly. "I'm sorry, we're almost there" he tightened his grip on the hand to stop me resisting and continued dragging me along, not taking the blindfold from my eyes.

Within seconds we came to a halt and he stood silently, scaring me thinking about what he was going to do on this date. Then I forced myself to remember I am sixteen, much too my disappointment. I desperately wanted school to be over so I could work at the joke shop whilst living with my two favourite people. I wanted to be with him, without the dread I felt when school term came around, where I would have to leave him. Again.

"So...can I take it off" without an answer I felt the coldness of his palms trace against my cheeks lifting off the covering on my eyes. I squinted my eyes adjusting them to the sunset settling in the sky. As it was a brisk winter the sky was drifting its way to the night as early as 4pm, meaning we had to come out earlier than we would have wanted. Once I could see, laid out by my feet were a pair of white ice skates as we stood by a large frozen over lake, I stared in awe at the cliche date feeling incredibly lucky.

"What's all this for" I gasped spotting the twinkly lights hanging from tree to tree surrounding the lake including a picnic blanket set on the grass with blankets sitting on top. "You're good at hiding your emotions, but not as good as you think. Especially from me..." I arched a brow still keeping my hand connected to his. "What are you talking about Fred?" I was utterly confused, could it be true that he knew me better than I knew myself, including knowing my emotions better. Although there was one thing that brought my mood down twice a year for the past few years, but surely Fred wouldn't know about that.

"I know what today is, and I see you smiling and happy. I also see that doubt, the remorse that you try so hard to hide. Cedric, today, two years ago was your date to the Yule ball." He spoke with such sincerity now holding both my hands in his, staring deep at me to see his caring nature in this moment. No jokes, no pranks, just his affection. I even felt my heart beat harder in my chest knowing that he had remembered, anyone who knows Fred would agree that he isn't exactly the most observant guy. But seeing him so sincere and understanding of the situation without me having to say a word about just made me see him in a new light. I never thought loving some one like this was possible, loving someone so much they are always on your mind, so much that it hurts.

"It's just- I owed him a dance. Multiple dances. It gets to me, b-because what if I had danced with him. Our last moments would have been beautiful." He nodded clearly not wanting to interrupt me expressing my emotions, something I don't do often. "I miss him..."

"I know you do love, but think about it from what you've told me, you got to say goodbye during your encounter with V-Voldemort. You had your last moment, and it was beautiful. Just like today is, a day to remember Diggory for the person he was and a day to celebrate our relationship." I couldn't help the smile growing on my lips even as tears burned my eyes, I had never felt so comfortable spilling my feelings out so confidently with anyone like that before. "You big softy!" I joked lightening the mood and he chuckled cupping my face with his cold hands, "your hands are cold!" I screeched squirming away. When he didn't release me I quickly shoved my hands up the back of his top, flat against his back making him jump around "ah ah ah" was all he could get out as we both laughed uncontrollably.

-

"Please don't let me fall!" I cried out whilst gripping on to him for dear life, my legs wide apart in an attempt to keep my balance on the ice. "I would never!" He spoke with a fake gasp and I gave him a glare warning him not to try anything. It didn't take long for me to be more comfortable gliding around, still keeping a firm hold on Fred's arm for support.