80| just in the nick of time

________________________________

It took me back to our eleventh birthday. The carts we were travelling in, the nerves, the excitement and the thrill we got that day.

If only I knew what circumstance we would have gotten into back then. Perhaps I wouldn't have went to Hogwarts at all, I wouldn't want that. Our school experience hadn't been easy, to put it lightly. We constantly had another enemy or issue to face. But absolutely nothing would make me regret coming.

The good outweighs the bad. I had gotten a family, more brothers and sisters, a boyfriend. I would exchange that for anything.

I just know we were relied on too much, that's for sure.

Just like now, we weren't even adults. We should be living out our teenage years. Getting drunk, making mistakes with drugs, having boy or girl trouble. This kind of life shouldn't be thrown at anyone. Then again, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone else.

"Kat," Hermione shouted over the deafening wind as we rode to Bellatrix's vault. "Drink some more, it will wear off." I nodded the best I could taking the flask from her with both my hands to get a good grip.

I pulled off the cap unsure of how I could do this without-

I dropped it, straight down over the side of the cart. Fuck.

"Mione..." I gave her a guilty look, taking a glance over the side to let her know what happened. She put her face in her palms in a panic, hoping we would be quick enough to get out before people could see who I was.

I pulled my hair back, gripping onto the sides as we toppled around on the tracks. Hermione had a tight grip on Ron while Harry kept himself stable. Something was wrong.

"What's going-" I started but before I could finish, all my words turned to a scream, as did everyone else's. We were falling, it felt as if I was moving in slow motion. It felt never-ending.

-

"Are we all okay?" Harry asked flopping on to the solid ground once leaving the water. I coughed up all I had swallowed, not hearing anyone give him an answer.

"I'm amazing, what about you?" I replied sarcastically, getting to my feet whilst wringing out my dress. Griphook and the Goblin that was spelled sat by unscathed, as did all of us.

"Oh no." Hermione gasped staring directly at me, I arched a brow looking at the others for any form of help. She didn't reply instead she rummaged through her bag. "You're you again, this is bad." She groaned not successfully finding anything to help us.

"That's not just it, you're-" I pointed to her, seeing her face take form back to normal. "You haven't got any more polyjuice potion, have you?" She shook her head with a frustrated sigh.

"We have to be quick." She rushed to her feet, directing us up to higher ground, "which way is it?" She questioned walking backwards to face the Goblins.

"Straight ahead." Griphook said bluntly. Trying his hardest to keep up with his little legs. We all followed Hermione along, all in complete silence. I could feel the tension. Everyone was nervous, anything could go wrong. The smallest of issues could risk every single one of our lives.

We continued walking up until we came up to a row of vaults, I couldn't see the end of them that's how far on it went. We all turned expectantly at Griphook waiting for him to give us a number of show us the way. "Well...are we gonna stand around all day or?"

"This way." He hissed taking lead while I mocked him behind his back. I couldn't stand being around him, his incessant need to be a cunt when all we were doing was giving him what he wants.

I think we had passed around twenty vaults before getting to the right one. Only it had taken us double the time due to the fact we all had to slow down our pace in order to stay behind Griphook so he could lead.

"It's through that room, right at the back." He stated, cautiously walking towards it, allowing us to pass by him this time.

We all walked slowly not knowing what to expect, we had to take precautions incase Griphook was in on some large betrayal plan.

I felt the ground beneath us rumble at the sudden sound of a roar. I noticed it was around the wall in front of us, so when the others jumped back in surprise I stepped forward to investigate.

I felt someone grip my arm to hold me back from going to far but I had moved enough to get sight of the-

"Are you shitting me right now?" I harshly whispered, pulling myself back and shoving myself up against the wall. "Is this a scheme of yours, leading us into that trap?" I argued pointing an accusing finger at the Goblin before me. "A dragon, a real life, fucking massive dragon. You must this we are idiots." I scoffed looking at the others for help but they just turned to Griphook prepared to unleash hell on him the same as I.

"We have to get passed it, don't start throwing around accusations. You have so much more to lose than I do." He sniggered reaching ahead to hand us each an instrument of sorts. "Shake them, don't stop shaking them, well don't if you don't want to die." He kept his wide grin on his mouth when going first, I think that was his way of telling us we could trust him. I didn't. I'd be a fool to, but I didn't believe the dragon was a ruse for the betrayal.

Once the instruments played, the completely white chained dragon let out echoing cries of pain. I stood close to Hermione knowing this would be torture for her. She was too perfect to be able to stand for an animal being tortured at her hands.

It continuously screeched shaking the earth beneath us all, it made goosebumps form on my exposed forearms whilst we all walked by as fast as we could.

As we passed by it attempted to breathe fire, only managing to get out tiny little flames.

I could see as we all reach the room behind him, we all sprinted behind it once we stopped shaking the instrument. We seemed to wait there for a moment or two to convince the creature we were gone. My heart was still racing, I expected to face a few death eaters today, not a dragon.

"We have to hurry." Hermione spoke up first, her voice trembling from the still ongoing cries from behind the wall. We all nodded waiting for Griphook to open up the vault before us.

"He has to." He growled pointing to the other Goblin, who still seemed to be in his own little world. He was smiling looking up to the ceiling not acknowledging anything that was going on.

Griphook grabbed a hold of him, placing his palm up against the iron door. We all took our chance when seeing the door wedge open slightly, jumping inside without a second thought.

Just in the nick of time, the Dragon wasn't held off without the instruments, he had the freedom to breathe fire. In any direction.

- I hate this chapter but I don't know why I've been struggling with writing lately <3