12. Double Trouble

YAYYY! New chapter! :):)

Chapter 12- Double Trouble

            Leah-

            I stared at that boy for a half-second, not daring to admit that he came here to see me. I couldn’t believe that he would go through the trouble, especially after I embarrassed myself so much last night. But even through his dark jacket and hat, I could see little tufts of blonde hair sticking out, and his familiar gait seemed to point more towards the fact that he was Niall Horan. And he was here for little old me.

            I crossed through the swinging banister and peered at him fully, trying to decipher the reason for his presence. “So you had to try the food here? I mean, eating at Benshire’s would be on my bucket list before I left Houston, if I were you,” I taunted, smiling playfully and approaching him. I couldn’t exactly see his eyes, but if they matched his smile, they were breathtaking.

            “Yeah. Just one last place I had to stop before leaving tomorrow.” He made it seem as though he was just passing through, that of course he hadn’t come here to see me before he left. He almost had a sarcastic tone, but I chose to ignore that. I was starting to understand the real Niall Horan, the one that cared about others but didn’t want them to know it. After a pensive glance he frowned. Studying his mouth, I soon realized it would be hard to speak with him for the tremendous curiosity of mine… what were his eyes doing? I couldn’t see them under his hat and jacket.

            It was uncanny, the strange guttural feeling that suddenly overtook me at the mention of his departure. I mean, I was still shell-shocked to even think about being friends with him. The problem came when I thought about his feelings toward me. He would probably just go traipsing around the country with his band and forget all about me. Of course, I never expected anything to come of this; he just happened to be one of the cutest boys on the planet, talking to me and taking an interest in me while he was passing through town. There was nothing more to be said about the matter.

            “I was actually just leaving,” I said. We were still standing in front of the counter; Niall seemed unaware of all the people watching him. He didn’t exactly look like a normal summer customer in his getup. “My shift’s over,” I explained carefully.

            “Well, then we can get a table, can’t we?” He looked almost too hopeful.

            “Actually…” I thought about his proposition. Hadn’t I just finished thinking about this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be around him? My mother would probably be angry, but she would understand this, right? “Okay. But only for a few minutes. I have church tomorrow.”

            That seemed to satisfy him. He ushered me over to a small table, placing his hand lightly on the small of my back as he followed. I tossed my jacket over the back of the chair and sat carefully, eyeing him. “Order anything you want,” he said politely.

            “Thanks.” I leaned forward on the table a bit, narrowing my eyes. “Aren’t you scared?” I smiled as I spoke.

            He seemed taken aback. “Of what?”

            “Being… noticed.”

            Niall laughed a bit, his breath sounding somewhat forced. “Oh. No. I’m incognito, remember?”

            I giggled. “Oh yeah, you’re perfectly invisible with your black-as-night jacket and hat. It’s like a hundred degrees outside.”