14. Forgotten?

WOOTT! I finished this one quickly, no? :):)

Enjoy!

xD

Chapter 14- Forgotten?

            Leah-

            My fingers brushed over the slim buttons of the remote. “Nothing on TV,” I muttered, frowning. I crossed my legs and hugged my pillow to my chest, trying to decide why exactly I was sitting at home doing nothing. At the notion to actually go out, my body seemed to realize what a crazy idea it was, and I involuntarily yawned. Lizzy had already invited me over, but I’d declined for today. It was my day off. I was dead tired.

            “Nothing,” I said once again, rolling over so that my face was in the couch cushion. Deep down, I knew what my problem was- I missed Josh. And someone else, too. Josh had gone on vacation with his family, so I hadn’t been able to make plans with him all week. And the blonde one- I refused to think his name at the moment- either hadn’t cared or hadn’t had time to call.

            More than likely, Blondie hadn’t had time to call, at least, according to Liam and Lizzy. As my mind relayed once again the events of the previous Tuesday, I found it increasingly harder to believe that Niall would somehow being talking about me while he was away. I couldn’t even imagine him thinking anything special about me. Quite frankly, it terrified me.

            Well, it wasn’t like I was going to text or call him, anyway.

            Cole trotted into the living room and slammed himself down on the ground, causing me to slam my head up in fright. When I realized it was him, I turned all the way around; my legs hung from the side of the couch, but my face was still pressed into the chair. “What are you doing, mister?” I said, my face bright and happy for a moment.

            “I’m mad.”

            “Mad? What does a handsome little boy like you got to be mad about?” I sat up now, crossing my arms in mock confusion. Cole was a little bugger sometimes, and I had learned to play along.

            Cole just stared at me, as if I was supposed to guess the reason for his discomfort. As if a little ten-year-old’s plights would be obvious to me. I couldn’t help my wry smile as I stood and crossed the room to him. I got down on one knee and assessed his expression. His toys, various tractors and race cars and monster trucks, lay sprawled across the blue tapestry rug. “You wanna talk about it?”

            “Bethany invited Jesse over, but not me.”

            I covered my mouth to stifle a giggle. “Well,” I conceded, “Bethany has other friends besides you, Cole.”

            “I know.” He slammed his arms to his chest. I thought suddenly about Cole’s infatuation with monster trucks and cars. Dad had been dying to take him to a show, and I knew he would soon. I wondered, though, what Cole was really angry about all of a sudden. He was a typical, cliché ‘happy camper’ most of the time.

            “Okay so what’s really bothering you?” I asked with a somewhat cynical expression.

            “Dad took away my new robot. The one with all the extra sounds.” I frowned too. Cole rarely ever got into trouble. He must have done something dire. “He said it was too loud and him and Mom were trying to watch a movie.”

            “Well, why didn’t you come in here to play?”

            “You were watching TV.”