5. Friends, Dates, & One Direction

• Dedicated to my mother, for all her bravery and hard work. Two year cancer survivor!

Woah. sorry it's been soooo dannnggg long. BUT! This should make you guyss happy, at least for a while. I've gotta say, I've been really stressed with school this year. That's part of the reason for not updating in two weeks! But I've been trying to upload every weekend. Hopefully that will continue!

Thank you for all your tremendous support!

:)

Chapter 5- Friends, Dates, and One Direction

            I walked swiftly to the counter and asked to see Bethany Hannold. The burly woman at behind the desk directed me with a solemn smile to Bethany’s room. As I entered the elevator, I could only think of Bethany, that sweet little Bethany, with her eyes so bright. She had been such a thrill to my heart at times with her crazy dances and expressions. Her tiny frail body made her the epitome of innocence, and it felt almost as if that innocence was being destroyed before my eyes.

            Bethany, who’d only met One Direction just yesterday, who’d only just begun her little life filled with dreams, who had only just now began to see the world as it was… she was now in the hospital, in critical condition, in a coma. How could this be? How could God justify doing something so tragic in such a time as this?

            Dear Lord, I prayed. Please help me to see your blessings in this. Help me to help Lizzy and her family though this… this time of heartbreak, and help me to be strong… My thoughts broke as I exploded into quiet tears. The elevator was empty, and I was almost to the correct floor. God’s words stopped my cry.

            For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

        It was Jeremiah 29: 11! It was Lizzy’s favorite Bible verse… one that I’d heard countless times. I’d never had to lean on this verse as strongly as I did now. In my heart, I was able to finish my prayer. Lord, help me to be strong for them, if no one else. Help Bethany to get better, if it’s Your Will, In Jesus Name…

            The elevator doors opened and I pulled on my best concerned glance. I had been crying, but I dared not let that show in front of Lizzy. Halfway down the hall, I saw Brittany May, Lizzy’s longtime best friend. “Brittany!” I gasped.

            “Hey, Leah.” Unlike me, Brittany was teary-eyed, and she didn’t care who saw. “I’m going to visit Bethany, aren’t you?”

            “Yes.” We walked the rest of the way to Bethany’s room and I quietly knocked.

            “Come in,” I heard Lizzy say from inside the room. Her voice sounded broken, but I tried to be strong for her. I stuck my head through the door and peeked at Lizzy. She wiped her eyes and sniffed, carefully ushering us inside the door.

            “Hey…” I said softly, shooting her a heartened glance. Brittany followed me inside the door, holding a bouquet of flowers.

            I crossed to the bed and looked at Bethany while Lizzy and Brittany talked. She looked more frail than usual; the cast on her arm made her look ant-like in the hospital bed. The bed rails reminded me of a cage, something used to keep someone from escape. On the contrary, it was used to keep Bethany from tossing and rolling from the bed, but in her fragile state, I could hardly imagine her hurting a fly.

            The reality of the situation grappled for my attention once again. She was Bethany: a small, beautiful, innocent little girl, with eyes that shone like stars… and here she was, unable to speak her mind. She was unable to tell us about her feelings… about meeting One Direction, her last wishes… and I refused to think of the alternate outcome… Bethany had to come out of this. She had to wake up.