11. Cookin' Things Up

Well, this is a twist! :):):) I've actually gotten two chapters finished this week!! :) anyway, I hope you enjoy it. It's... Well, there might be a teeny cliff hanger at the end. #watchout

Enjoy!

Chapter 11- Cookin’ Things Up

            Leah-

            I couldn’t help my confusion as I shuffled down the stairs at a little after seven, my mind on my mother’s insistence that I be up early. After the late concert last night, I was surprised that she asked me to get up, considering I had to work this afternoon as well. But I followed my mom’s instructions because she rarely asked me to do things like that. When I came downstairs, it was virtually quiet in the living room, save for the light music I heard coming from in the kitchen. I followed the sounds and the smell of nutmeg into the tiled room, my eyes trailing around sleepily. The floor felt cold on my bare feet and they sounded silly shuffling across the tile.

            I rubbed my eyes lazily and looked at my mom. She had her arms covered in flour; her eyes were trailing around the room quickly. She was in full-swing cooking mode now, and I had no reason to stop her. But when she noticed me she grinned and grabbed a wet towel. After her hands were clean, she stood straight and looked at me for a moment. It was a lot like being examined by a doctor, the way her eyes trailed me.

            “Well, Leah, that’s not the way you should show up for a job interview!”

            I had been trying to decipher the music that was playing, but it was so low I couldn’t hear it. Her nonchalant lack-of-a-morning-greeting caught me off guard completely. I almost snorted, but held it back. “A job interview?”

            “Of course!” My mom wiped her hands roughly on her apron and crossed her arms. “You don’t expect to get a job without being interviewed, do you?”

            I blinked. What was she talking about? I scanned over all my memories and tried to remember when we’d been in a discussion about a job-

            “Mom! You’re really gonna let me work for your catering business?”

            “Of course, sweetie. I’ve got a huge order due on Tuesday, and I’d like for you to do a fair share of cooking, just as a trial thing,” she stated slowly. When she noticed my huge grin and bright eyes she frowned. “Now don’t go quitting your job just yet… You might only end up working sometimes,” she chastised.

            “Oh,” was my response. “Well that’s okay, Mom. I’ll keep working for now. Thank you so much for this.”

            “You’re welcome, sweetie. I love you.” She crossed the room and hugged me quickly. “Now, I know you have to work tonight, so let’s get down to business…” As my mom threw me for a loop with her list of different procedures, her recipe books, and the specific items needed for this job, I could only think of what a breakthrough this was for me.

            I’d always admired Mom for being a virtual stay-at-home mother with her business, and I’d secretly wanted to take it over as my own job someday. It was silly, since I’d never really had the chance to cook even in my own kitchen. I’d had ample opportunities- Mom had offered to watch Cole while I made dinner many times, but I’d always refused politely.

            I already knew the basics of cooking, but the only real experience I’d gotten was in my home-economics class at school. That… now that was dreadful. I’d never been so scared of rejection in my life. I probably wouldn’t have even taken the class if it weren’t for some friends pushing me to do it.