Chapter 26 - The Beach

The icy wind blew my hair into a mess, I stepped into the cold sand, I congratulated myself for having been smart enough to run back to my apartment for a warm coat. What I was however regretting was not bringing a scarf.

"Here," Kyle interrupted my thought while handing me what I recognized as a cap. He had his on already. I appreciated his thoughtfulness and swiftly tamed my hair so the cap would fit.

"Thanks," I answered, giving him a warm smile. I could see his family down the path ahead of us. They had been trying to catch up with Jackson that had jumped out of the car and sprinted to their usual hangout spot. "They're nice," I commented out loud. From the little time I had spent with his family, I could tell they were friendly people that were caring and always there to lend a helping hand to the people in need. A part of me was in awe at their connection while the other felt homesick and reminded me that I hadn't spoken to my dad in nearly a month and already more than half a year with my mom.

"Yeah," he sighed as he watched his brother moving around trying to gather enough dry wood to light up a long-lasting fire. His father had brought with him tools and matches to start the campfire and soon enough the flames were lighting up our faces and the warmth of nature settled around us.

"Here are some marshmallows," Jackson said as he stretched out his hand to give me a handful of fluffy deliciousness.

"Thanks, buddy," I quickly answered, joining my hands together to form a bowl. "So how does it work exactly?" I asked the kid. His eyes lit up like a Christmas tree excited to be able to share his science and knowledge with me. I follow each of his instructions to the letter, even letting him scold me a little when I didn't pierce the marshmallow the correct way.

Beside me, I could feel the heat radiating from Kyle's leg that was pressed against mine the entire time making it difficult to concentrate on the words coming out of Jackson's mouth. Kyle let out a chuckle when Jackson corrected me. In my defense, that kid was maniac as fuck, sticking the marshmallow horizontally or vertically really didn't change much.

The rest of the evening was spent telling stories and laughing, Kyle's sister even went back to their car to grab her guitar. She played a few songs she had learned over the years and we all sang along. Turned out Camilla was only a few years younger than us. She went to a college near her hometown and saved costs by living with the family.

Why is it that I started noticing familiar traits between the siblings only now? I mean it's not like they changed or anything. Fascinating how your mind can change your senses.

"You want to go for a walk?" Kyle whispered in my ear. The closeness of his body sent a pleasant shiver down my body. My eyes had been lost in the elegant movement of the flames as the wind set the pace of their dance. Looking around, I noticed that his parents were talking across from the fire from us and that Jackson had fallen asleep with his head on his sister's lap as she sang him a soothing melody.

"Sure," I answered just as quietly as we both stood up from the tree trunk. Dusting off my backside, I followed behind him.

"We're going for a walk ma," he quickly informed his mother. I could see the knowing look in her eyes as she nodded. It wouldn't be surprising if she thought we were dating after today.

Kyle had always been someone I was comfortable talking to. I didn't shy away from my opinions or thought and that was precious to my heart. He accepted me and that was what made me crave his presence.

A comfortable silence surrounded us as we walked on the sand before he spoke again, "I'm surprised you came," he admitted while looking at me. "After the talks and the rules, we had set, I never thought I'd ever see you outside of that building or J&Co."