Chapter 23 - Double Dating

It was Saturday night, and I was about to head out to the restaurant Luke had picked out. Peter and I had decided to meet directly there, this way Alisson and I could get ready together.

This entire week had been a bust and I was hoping that tonight would mark a turn for the better. The Beacons had lost to the Rams on Sunday which had created a tense atmosphere at the stadium. Players weren't as chatty among themselves; football coaches were tense trying to figure out what had gone wrong.

This had rubbed off on Jenkins, she was harder than usual, picking each one of us apart. On Wednesday she went as far as to tell Layla, one of the girls on the team that if she had known how she danced earlier then she would have cut her during training camp. Layla was heartbroken and had a hard time controlling the waterfalls after that. Coach wasn't moved one bit by it and simply told her to go home if she couldn't handle de pressure.

She wasn't cut, because this far into the season it would make it very difficult for the coaches to rearrange all the choreography. Sometimes I wondered if that lack of power made them more condescending and degrading.

"Earth to Kat," Al's voice brought me back to the present time.

"Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts," I admitted. "What did you ask?"

"Do you think I should do a cat eye with my eyeliner or keep it simple with only mascara?" she asked. Thinking about it for a second, I suggested doing a cat-eye. That was my go-to make-up when I was going out.

Once we arrived in front of Lucy's, one of the fancier restaurants in the city, we noticed the two guys waiting patiently by the entrance. Al gave me an exciting look. "Seems like they're getting along well," she pointed out when we were still out of earshot. She was right, both men were chatting happily. They were too busy laughing to notice us.

"What's so funny?" I asked catching their attention.

"Hi beautiful, nothing special, just men talk," Peter answered. Men talk? Really? "You look great."

Luke, Al's boyfriend bent down to her ear, probably to whisper something similar to his girlfriend. I mean Al had outdone herself tonight and look smocking hot. She was wearing a skintight sparkling black skirt that hugged her curves nicely and exposed a little bit of cleavage.

We entered the restaurant and sat down at the table, giving us the menus and a quick explanation of the daily specials. The place was illuminated by candles on the walls and chandelier-like lightings on the ceiling. I had never been here, but it definitely lived up to its reputation.

Peter started telling some interesting gossip about the boss of his department sleeping with his secretary. It was such a cliché, I felt bad for the girl since apparently the entire department now knew about it. If everyone was as chatty as Peter was I wouldn't be surprised if the entire office knew by the time Monday came around.

"You shouldn't have worn lipstick, sweetheart. I already told you it made you look cheap." I overheard Luke whisper to Alisson when he thought no one was paying attention. I was surprised, shocked even, but Alisson seemed nervous. She excused herself. I was about to join her when the waiter came by to take my order. Peter and Luke both ordered a house steak and Luke asked for a Cesar salad for Alisson. By the time I could stand up to follow her she was already back.

Her lipstick was entirely gone, and her lips looked to a knowing eye like they had been scratched at slightly. I made a mental note to talk to her about it afterward.

I had done my best to keep the double date's mood light, asking Luke a few questions, while Al did the same with Peter. Other than that incident, I hadn't seen Luke do or say anything out of place.