ix

I went upstairs to where Hermione told me that the girls' dormitories were and opened that door with a gold placket that read 'Sixth Years'. Inside there were four other girls whose eyes met mine.

    "Hi, I'm Madeleine" I said nervously. "Alicia Spinnet, nice to meet you" said one of the blonde girls with a smile. "Meredith Evans" said a brunette girl sending me a wave. "I'm Elizabeth Bennett, it's so nice to meet you!" Said the other brunette girl. "Angelina Johnson, pleasure" said the last girl with slight disgust on her voice.

    Angelina and Meredith were in their own conversation, as I made my way to the empty bed. Someone had brought in all of my belongings which was a relief. I began unpacking everything from my trunk into the wardrobe that had my initials on it. After I finished I sat on the bed and opened my book, but before I could start reading Alicia and Elizabeth sat on my bed.

    "So you're French then?" Elizabeth asked intrigued. "Yeah, I was born and raised there but my mum's English" I replied closing the book back again. "But if you're French, how come you don't have an accent?" Alicia asked. I chuckled but before I could reply Elizabeth spoke again "oh my god Alicia you can't just ask someone why they don't have an accent!".

    "It's fine really, my dad was French but since my mum is from England we just spoke in English back at home" I answered. "I can tell that we're gonna be good friends Maddie, is it alright if I call you that?" Elizabeth said. "Yeah it's cool, Madeleine is a mouthful as it is" I said. "You can call me Lizzie by the way, and anything that you need just ask any of us" she said pointing at herself and Alicia. I smiled at the two girls before getting up to get ready for bed. I made my way to the bathroom and took a shower. I then brushed my teeth and used some of the skincare stuff that mum put in my trunk.

    When I came back, I noticed that all of the girls were already asleep but somehow I was still wide awake. I had lied to Fred and George about being tired since I wasn't in the mood to answer questions about myself. I took some parchment and a quill from my bag and went back to the common room. It was completely empty which I was glad for. I sighed as I sat down on a chair. I placed the parchment and took my quill and began writing.

Cher dad,
It's been a rough day, a rough summer actually. I feel so empty, so lonely, so lost. I haven't felt like myself in such a long time. Every time I close my eyes even for the slightest moment all I can see is you. You blue eyes completely lightless. Your body laying in the middle of my room. Your casket being lowered into the ground at mamie's garden. Today I tried to put on a brave face, but I don't know how much longer I can keep this mask on. Sooner or later they will all know. I don't even know why I was even put in Gryffindor. I'm not brave. I'm not courageous. I'm just a coward that couldn't save you. I'm scared to sleep, because I know that I will wake up screaming. I don't know who I am anymore and it's getting harder to pretend that I do. Even though mum has been completely shattered since you were taken from us, she still pulls through. So have Tim and Clo, but me, I'm just stuck in time. Life is going by in slow motion and colors don't seem as bright anymore. I miss you so much and every night I wish that it was me instead of you. I'm in so much pain yet at the same time I'm unable to feel anything. I need you dad, but I know that you can't come back. I miss you more than words can explain. Je t'aime avec tout ma vie.
Ta petite étoile.

    I folded the tear stained letter and sat down in front of the dying fire. I didn't even notice that someone sat next to me. I felt a familiar pair of arms hugging me. I snuggled onto my brother's chest as tears were still escaping from my eyes. "It's okay Maddie, let it out" Tim told me as he held me tighter. I let out a quiet sob clutching his jumper harder. "I know it hurts Mads but the pain will eventually stop" he told me. "But but what if it doesn't stop? It feels like it's never gonna stop" I said my voice shaky from crying. "I promise it will okay? Mum put this in my trunk and made me promise to make sure you would take it every night," he said pulling out a vial with a blue potion in it, "is dreamless sleep draught, it'll make you feel better. I already wrote to her about what went on today so you don't have to worry about it". He handed me the vial and I took it in a single gulp. I felt my eyes growing tired which made my brother sigh in relief. He hugged me before going back to his room, but neither of us noticed that a certain redhead was in the back of the common room and who had seen the entire scene.