Chapter 1

I sat on my small twin bed and sighed, wishing that my mom and dad hadn't gone missing after our house burned down in a fire last year.

Ever since then I have been living with my Aunt Grace. She is mean and has made me do all of the house work, saying it was going to be my way to earn a place at the house. Even though today is my 16th birthday I'll still have to clean. I sigh as the small out of style phone that Aunt Grace uses to order me around began to ring. I hurried to pick it up.

        "Morning Aunt Grace" I said tyring to hide the fact that I wanted to cry.

        "Kaye Laini, Get your butt out here right now, Darlia Spilled Her Coffee." My aunt snaps, her voice as shrill as it always is.

        "I will be there right away" She hung up without another word. I knew that Darlia had spilt her coffee on purpose just to ruin my morning.

I quickly got dressed, pulling my tennis shoes onto my feet as I ran down the long hall that separated my room from the rest of the house.

I stopped in the supply closet, grabbing a mop and a bucket, as I continued down the hall I stopped in the bathroom and filled the bucket. Glancing at the clock in the hall, I realized I wouldnt have time to do my makeup.
        "Finally" Aunt Grace groaned as I dragged the bucket into the dining room.
        "Happy Birthday" My perky little 12 year old cousin Dasiy said. Dasiy has blonde hair thats so light that in the sun it looked white. Her eyes are green and always shining. She looked like a little angel. I smiled at her and quickly cleaned up the coffee spill.
        "See ya'll after school" I yell after putting the mop and bucket away. 
I ran out of the house and started walking to school.

~~~~~~~

I was halfway to school when my best friend Carlee came running up.

        "Happy Birthday" She said holding out a small white box that had a small pink bow stuck to the top.
        "Thanks Carlee" I took the box.
        "Thats not your gift" She says, smiling.
        "What is it?" I started tugging at the bow.
             "You are to slow" She whines,reaching over to take the box, she's quick to open it. I laughed. It was a vanilla cupcake with a candle sticking out of it. She pulled a lighter from her pocket and lit the candle." Make a wish" She Squeled.
I closed my eyes and blew out the candle. I wished for the year to get better.
             "What'd you wish for?"
             "If I tell you it wont come true"
             "Whatever" She sends me a playful death glare and we both start laughing.

We were a block away from school when a guy in a nice new looking sports car sped by. We were instantly splashed by mud. I looked down at the new outfit that I had bought for today and felt like crieing. Carlee had gotten the worst of It. We both frowned and when we got to school, we ran to the bathroom and did our best to clean up. I went to my frist class, English and took my seat. Mr. Crunie stood at the front of the room.
             "I would like to start the morning By saying happy birthday to Kaye Laini." I smiled as the class yelled Happy Birthday "Next I would like to introuduce our new student, Carson Anderson" A tall, tan, boy with long black hair and ice blue eyes walked In.
"Hi" He waved to the class and looked around, his pirecing gaze landed on me.