12

"... So the process takes around a million years from the time the initial gas cloud starts to collapse until the star is created and shines like the sun." Astera explained, moving her book for Draco to see. He moved closer, his eyes looking at the drawn images of stars and gas clouds. Although, he didn't understand a lot of the things she said, somehow they made sense. And they didn't tire him.

"Can they die out?" Draco asked, his finger running over the parchment paper, feeling the bumps of ink beneath him.

Astera nodded, "Everything dies, Draco. Stars die because they exhaust their nuclear fuel. Massive stars, like the Luminous blue variable star, use up their hydrogen fuel quickly. Once there is no fuel left, the star collapses and the outer layers explode as a 'supernova'."

Humans were much like stars. We use up all our good, bad, love, energy - our fuel and we explode into a supernova. We leave disaster behind with our death, but to some we leave happy memories and beautiful stories to look back on. So, even when a star dies, it leaves something beautiful behind.

"Why do you read so much?"

"I like learning," she shrugged, "I've been seen as weak a lot and learning became a strength. It makes me feel powered and alive, almost."

Draco lowered his eyes. He didn't have something that gave him power, or made him feel alive. He thought he did, but he didn't. It felt empty inside him. He wanted to know what it was like doing something that gives you purpose. He craved basic human attention and recognition.

"Do you like reading?" she asked, closing the book.

"Not really. My mother used to read to me when I was younger," he looked back on his childhood, recalling those nights, "But, I never liked reading. It bored me easily."

"What did she read to you?"

"Anything from the library. She knew what I liked and chose. Her choices were always perfect."

Due to her observant nature, she noticed the glimmer in his eyes and the tone of missing in his voice. Draco just wanted his mother. And Astera wished she could give that to him.

"There was this story of a dragon that befriended a dragon fly. I always thought it was a little weird, but they worked in a way."

Her thoughts noted the story, trying to see if she knew it but, alas, she didn't. Draco's words came out a bit easier now. For Astera, it felt like talking to a toddler. Draco was foreign to normal conversations and talks. He and the Slytherins usually talked about their next prank or victim. He spoke about the Dark Lord's hopes with his father and how he adored them, when in reality, Draco feared them.

"What's your favourite story?"

Astera slightly raised a brow at his question. She thought, but couldn't think of one.

"Erm, well, I don't know. No one ever read me stories, really." she said, her fingers curling around the spine of the book.

Draco hummed in response and nodded. The girl felt her stomach twist in hunger, signaling that dinner would wait for them in the Great Hall.
She got up, pulling up her pants and adjusting her beige shirt.

"I hope you liked what I read to you, "she said, walking towards the door, "I'll see you at dinner."

☆☆☆☆☆☆

Astera stared at the starry ceiling above her, her eyes trailing each constellation, reminding her of the time she spent with Draco in the Room of Requirement. She laid there, hands on her stomach and fire warming up her body. That is, until, she remembered.

"The story." she jumped up, wording her thoughts out. Her feet quickly ran down the tower, skipping a few steps and taking her to the library. The dim light of candles and fire lit up her way, showing her the different sections.

She spent an entire 30 minutes searching for the book, almost tiring herself out. When her fingers pulled out a small sized book with a worn out cover, something told her she has found it.

"The story of the Dragon that befriended the Dragon fly." she read out loud, a small smile forming on her face.

As she was walking back to her tower, Draco was striding down the halls alone, turning his fingers as he balanced his wand on them. He watched the moon and felt the cold rush of wind each time he took a step. His mouth opened, a tired yawn coming out as he rubbed his forehead, praying for the headache to leave.

His ears picked up a noise. Footsteps. He raised his wand, walking towards the sound as he kept his breath inside of him.

As the student turned the corner, her forehead came in touch with Draco's wand, bopping her slightly.

"What are you doing?" she asked, her hand flying up and lowering his wand down. Draco released the breath he had held captive, his eyes returning to her.

"What are you doing roaming the halls? Are you mad just running around?" he asked, his voice stern and hard. To Astera, it was no surprise. It did, on the other hand, make her question whether or not to show him the book.

"I could ask you the same," she said back, walking towards a bench in front of a large window, "Sit."

Draco was taken aback. His feet staggered, not knowing whether to obey or disobey her. His eyes searched for an answer in her movement, trying so hard to uncover her. But, he was oblivious to her transparency. Astera wasn't like him; a mystery. She was an open book. It was easy to understand her. And that confused him.

He gave in, sitting down next to her and still keeping his distance.

"I found it," her arms moved towards him, handing him the book, "The story your mother told you."