57

It felt eerie as the only thing her ears registered was the sound of her shoes against the ground, her breath and her heartbeat she felt in her throat. The world felt like it had stopped. Like everything was over. But the worst hadn't even begun.

And as she ran down stairs, turned corners and almost tripped, she ran out to the courtyard, her eyes widening as the Dark Lord himself, Voldemort stood with all his might and glory. Her throat was dry as she wanted to yell but... She was too late.

Narcissa's hand took his in her own, secretly smiling at her son as he held a look of defeat and mourn. He was disheveled, tired and he looked terrible. But to her, he was the most beautiful boy she had ever seen. Even in his darkest and saddest moment, Draco was the only light she saw.

She licked her lips, holding herself on a column as she held her hand over her lips, feeling herself almost lose control as her knees gave up. She had lost him. He was gone. He made his choice and she wasn't it.

She felt alone. More alone than she ever had as she sat behind the column, Voldemort's words only a brief sound to her ears as she quietly sobbed, blaming herself for everything that had occured with him. How could she let herself get hurt? It was her fault. It always was.

But when Harry Potter jumped out of Hagrid's arms, it all went by too quick. Every explosion was quick, every movement was fast as it went by in a flash, in a matter of seconds, even. People scattered, ran and shouted out to their friends, hid and sheltered themselves.

Astera had no one to shelter. She had no one to shelter her.

And when she closed her eyes, put her hands over her head, it was all gone. It all went by in a matter if seconds.

The battle was won. Voldemort was dead. And she was alone, once again.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

She walked into the Great Hall, tired and sleepless, barely being able to stand on her feet. Her eyes bore into the ground as she lifted them up, noticing Luna sit by Neville. She didn't tell her about Elle that day. She couldn't. Mostly because she couldn't believe it herself.

Dean and Seamus were wrapped in blankets and held mugs with something warm inside them. Those that survived were smiling, yet others were mourning. She saw Harry Potter standing by the doorway as he had his best friends by his side. His eyes bore into hers, an unexpected smile on his face. Hermione's head turned, seeing the witch approach them as Ron stood surprised.

"Congratulations, Harry. You did well."

Harry nodded, thanking her as Hermione stood with a worried expression, "Astera? Where's Elle?"

And when she only gave them all a look and stayed silent, she least expected Hermione to clasp a hand over her mouth and pull Astera in her embrace. Harry and Ron gave each other a look as Ron's hand rubbed Astera's back, a look of mixed emotions on his face.

"I'm so sorry, Astera," Hermione said.

"Yeah, me too."

But Astera didn't want anyones condolences or tears. She wanted her best friend and the reality of her being gone forever came and went like waves on a shore. For a moment, she expected to see her come running towards her, but was soon reminded by the blood on her hands that she was, in fact, gone.

Ron's hand on her shoulder made her turn around as he watched her wipe a weak and thin tear, "We owe you an apology. We all do."

"What?" she asked, sniffing for a moment and wiping her sweaty hands from her thighs, "What for?"

"For the way we treated you. What we said about... Him," Harry said, looking at her regretfully, "I don't want us to part ways after all this and hating each other."

Astera smiled, letting out a breathy laugh, "I couldn't hate you. None of you."

She gave her hand out to Harry, smiling. Harry took her hand, shaking it gently as he noticed the bruised knuckles and bloody hands she had, but he had them too.

"We'll keep in touch, right?" Hermione asked, "These two never write. Promise me you will."

Astera smiled, a lump in her throat making her want to spill her tears out which she held so desperately onto, "I promise. Don't worry about these two. I'll get them to write."

Ron and Harry laughed as Hermione and Astera only gave them a look, shutting them up in an instant. Harry and Ron gave her a hug before going outside, leaving the girl on her own. She stood in the middle, holding herself with her arms wrapped around her body, licking her dry lips as she went and took a seat somewhere more secluded. Her lips were quivering as she hugged herself in attempt to warm up, feeling her knee start to bounce as the reality of being alone hit her like a train. She was afraid. She had gotten used to the people she loved and now they were gone. She felt like the 12 year old she once was; tired, cold and lonely.

Even when she wanted to drown herself in her own sadness and throughts, she couldn't help the smile on her face as Seamus and Dean hopped down the seat they were sitting and ran over her. They both sat on either side of her, Dean's palm on her back as he pulled her close, letting her head rest on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Ster..." Seamus handed her a warm drink as she gave him a thankful smile, "You got us, you know?"

"I do?"

"Yeah. Always."

And... Well, she wasn't as alone as she thought. Her world was Draco and Elle, it all revolved around them but the world was big. It held so many people and opportunities. So many memories and friends that she had forgotten were there. Dean and her weren't the best example of how a friendship started, but they were an example of a strong bond and lucky friendship. She would've jumped in front of him just like Elle saved her. She would've stood by and behind Seamus and protected him as he would do too.

So really, Astera was never alone. And she wouldn't be alone even if she wanted to be.