01

"Right, then. On you go!"

Hagrid waved his hand towards the students, the smile on his face not wanting to leave. His expression softened as he was already impatient to see them again.

"Bye!"

"Take care!"

He waved and waved, not missing a single student. His muscles were begging him to put his hands down, yet he kindly declined. He continued on bidding his goodbyes, the snow falling on his beard and shoulders and melting off instantly from his body heat. When the lovely express was out of his sight, Hagrid sadly went back to his lovely home, already missing the student's smiles.

The castle was empty. The dormitories were quiet, the sound of laughter and chatter no longer filling them. For the time being, though. Some beds were neatly made whilst others were left as they were when someone woke up. The halls weren't filled with the loyal Hufflepuffs, or energetic Gryffindors. The headmaster and professors could finally rest after teaching.

Things were different this year. As Dumbledore stayed in Hogwarts, most, if not all of the professors took time off and headed off to their own winter break. Trelawney even took a trip out of Hogwarts. Most years, students stay back as they have nowhere to go during winter or just simply wish to stay behind. But, this year, they found homes and families that wanted them.

As night took over, the castle got dark. The Great Hall stood lit with floating candles and lights from Christmas trees. The halls were dimly lit with small fires on the walls and the dorms remained dark.

When the hours were late, the doors of the Room of Requirement opened, the walls slightly shaking as two feet stood out, calmly closing the doors shut behind them. The dress shoes slightly tapped on the cold floors of the castle, yet they weren't as loud as the wood.

The witty Ravenclaw stood in the hallway, looking towards both ends. Her body was slightly shaking from the cold, her fingertips turning blue like her scarf. Taking out her wand from her pocket, she held it out.

"Lumos." she barely whispered. With a quick flick of her wand, the hallway lit up, giving her permission to keep moving.

Her feet moved quickly to the Ravenclaw common room, but not before she heard another set of steps behind her. She tensed up. It was either Filch or even Snape. The two hated when students were sneaking around in the hallways at night. Though, why should they be checking? As far as they know, Hogwarts is empty.

"Nox." she flicked once again. The light turned off as she was faced with open windows and a starry and cold night. The girl moved quickly, finding a solution as to where to hide. She turned a corner, hiding behind one of the walls and hoping whoever was roaming the halls, would simply pass her by.

She slowed her breaths and heart rate as the person approached, her back pressed against the wall. She closed her eyes as if it would make them go away, even for a moment.

A figure appeared to her left, their back turned to her, but the moonlight gave them away.

Snape.

Oh, please, keep walking. Don't turn-

"Miss Lilith."

Snape's unexplainable voice send shivers down her spine. If he could, he would give her detention. But, oh, damn that winter break. She stepped out of the shadows, masking her fear with a poker face and straight back.

"Professor." she calmly replied.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was heading back to my dormitory, sir. You?" she said, cocking her head to the side slightly.

Not many students were able to play along with Snape. Well, they could barely look him in the eye. She was fearless when it came to him. To her, he was nothing more than a teacher. A human.

He rolled his eyes, a huff escaping his mouth as he looked back at her, "Why aren't you on your way home, miss Lilith?"

He wasn't in the mood for her shenanigans or smart comebacks. Besides, Snape hated Christmas. The last thing he wanted was to spend it with one of his students.

"I missed the train, professor. Quite a shame, honestly." Her words were quick, smooth and confident. She shrugged her shoulder as she spoke.

"Do you really think your presence goes unnoticed here? This castle is big, but not big enough." Snape retorted back, bending down slightly to her height. His attempt to intimidate her didn't really work.

"Have you been missing the train for the past six years, Astera?"

Her name sounded like venom coming out of his mouth. She dug her fingernails even deeper into the skin of her palm. How did he know? And why didn't he mention sooner..?

"N-no, sir. I just-"

"What are you still doing here at Hogwarts?"

"Uh..." she began, "Watering the plants..?" her smile was charming. It was hard to hate her. Then again, Snape was able to hate anyone.

"Back to your dormitory. Now."