Matthew and Diana

• Dedicated to Granddad

Matthew:

Luckily, they didn’t send us to the front line, but to the reserve lines, where we could rest, and write home:

Dearest Di,

I have arrived safely, and I am waiting on the reserve lines. Hopefully, they won’t need us on the front too soon! I am missing you so, and can’t wait for our wedding. Maybe you and your mother could start to plan the wedding, and I can see what you’ve come up with when I return?

I haven’t met anyone new, but then again, I don’t want to, as last time I did such a thing, my friend (Will) died. I still haven’t written to his family, but I shall when I know his address.

Give your mother my best,

Matthew Xxx

I sealed the envelope and gave it to one of the nurses helping out with minor injuries to post. I sighed. What would married life be like? I smiled at the thought. After all of this was over, I could be a husband, a best friend, who knew, maybe even a father…. No I thought bit early to be thinking about THAT!

We could buy our own house out in the country, we could have a dog. I used to have a dog when I was around seven. A little spaniel called Pup. I remember he was called that, because when we took him for his first walk, he dived into a puddle. When he had emerged, he had been covered head to toe in mud. “My,” Mum had remarked, “What a mucky pup!” and the name had stuck. I smiled; Pup had been a lovely dog. Always loved a cuddle did Pup. He had died when I was fourteen from a bad infection. We had buried him in the garden and had held a little funeral. A dog had never had a better send off- but then again, he had been more than a dog, he had become my best friend. I wondered what would happen once I had died. Would there be many at the funeral? I knew Di would come, and Mum of course, but who else? I had no idea where Dad was, and Pete was… tears sprung to my eyes, but I wiped them away; Pete wouldn’t want me to be upset. He’d been a good brother, a kind, loving yet manly brother. I’d loved him, but I had always forgotten to say it, and now it was too late… I couldn’t stop the tears then, and they spilled over my cheeks.

Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned, and a tissue was pressed into my hand.

“You need it more than I do,” the man said kindly. I took it and wiped my eyes.

“Thanks,”

“It’s alright, Matthew.”

I frowned, how did he know my name? I looked up, and saw Tommy, smiling sadly down at me. I stood quickly, and embraced him in a manly hug.

“You’re alive,” I breathed. Tommy laughed,

“Of course I’m alive!”

I stepped back, marvelling at him. His hair was longer and grew past his jaw, but it suited him. His skin was covered in bruises, but he was otherwise alright. He was still the same Tommy- and his eyes still shone.

“It’s just- I never heard from you.”

“I never heard from you. What happened to you?”

“I was injured, so I was sent to hospital. Then I went home for a while…”

“Happy new year by the way,”

“And to you, and may I be better than the last one!”

“Let’s hope so!”

There was a pause. “You never heard from Will did you?”

I sighed, and looked away quickly, “He’s dead.”

I heard Tommy gasp slightly, “Oh.”

When I turned back, his eyes were brimming with tears. “I know,” I said gently.

“Will was too young, you know?”

“He told you?”

“It was obvious. I can’t believe they still sent him out there.”

“Me neither. I miss him too.”

We stared at each other for a moment,

“So what happened to you, you know after that day…”

“Oh,” Tommy lifted his jacket slightly, giving me a glimpse of the bandages beneath. “I got shot in the side by a rifle. It wedged into my side. I had to crawl back to the trench after that. Just managed to get there, and I was rescued, thank God.”

“I was caught on barbed wire and was burned by an explosion,”

“And they said it was going to be an adventure,”

I chuckled half-heartedly, “Yeah. Can’t be going on for much longer though, can it?”

“Let’s hope not.”

I patted his shoulder, “I’m glad you’re alright, Tommy, really.”

“I feel the same way about you. We’ll stay together, yeah?”

“Alright.”

Tommy slept in the bed to my right that night. I couldn’t sleep; I just stared up at the ceiling, waiting for morning to come. How could I sleep when I knew I could be called to my death at any given time? No one else seemed to have this problem however; I was left in shadowy silence, my eyes staring into space.

Diana:

It had been around six weeks since Matthew had left. I had received a letter from him a few weeks before. I was so glad he was alright. I knew how badly he had wanted to stay at home. If it had been up to me, I would have let him, but duty called for him. I just hoped he wouldn’t see something else that would scar him. I just wished I could understand. I gagged suddenly, slid out of bed and rushed to the bathroom just in time. I was sick into the sink. I washed it away. I had been like this for the past few days, and I had no idea why! If it continued, I decided I would go to the doctor. What if it was something serious? I got a glass from the kitchen, and filled it full of water from the tap. I gulped it down, and washed the sour taste out of my mouth. I was beginning to hate the mornings…

 ***

Author's note:

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for 300 views, that's just mindblowing! I haven't even been writing this for long, so it's awesome to think so many people are reading this, and are enjoying it!

I thought it would be nice for Tommy to make a return in the story! I hope you like it. So, what do you think's happening with Diana? Comment!

This story is dedicated to my amazing, kind, and funny Granddad.

Read, Vote, Comment!

Thanks XX