Diana

The look that came over Mother’s face then, was unlike anything I had ever seen. It was a combination of horror and shock.

“What?” she finally breathed, hardly believing it.

“Why does it matter?” I asked puzzled, “I don’t know anyone called Matthew.”

“Stop fooling!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, really!” I almost laughed. I couldn’t remember ever meeting a man called Matthew! Why was it so important?

“I’m sending for the doctor,” Mother said quietly, and before I could stop her to ask what was going on, she hurried downstairs.

Matthew I thought, could that be the name to the voice I had heard before? Even if it was, I’d never met any Matthew- not to my knowledge anyway. Obviously I had, due to mum’s shock, but I certainly didn’t remember it. Mum? I frowned, Is that what she’s called now? Saying it felt strange on my tongue. Mum and I had never been particularly close, so it had always been simply ‘Mother,’ but now, had things changed between us? I hoped they had; I hated arguing with her.

When the doctor came, he asked how I was feeling, if I was in pain, and if I was dizzy. I told him that I felt fine, if slightly hungry, I had a slight headache due to the cut on my forehead, and that I wasn’t dizzy at all. He seemed satisfied with my answers, before turning to Mum.

“She seems perfectly healthy, so what’s the problem?”

“She doesn’t remember the accident, or her boyfriend, she doesn’t even remember the war!”

War? I thought, What war? How much had I missed, asleep in that bed? I decided not to ask, as that would only make the situation worse.

“How long have I been asleep?” I mumbled, and they turned to me sharply.

“You really don’t remember?” The doctor asked cautiously. I shook my head.

“It’s new year’s eve, Di,” Mum said sadly. My eyes widened.

“I missed Christmas?” I cried. How could this be? “But I didn’t hear anybody downstairs!”

Every Christmas, various relatives would come to our house. Mum would cook a grand meal, and we would dine together, swapping anecdotes and filling each other in on what had been happening lately. Mum sighed, “Do you really think I’d invite other’s round while you were ill? I told them you needed your rest, and they were happy to change their meeting point this year. I didn’t attend of course; I was looking after you.”

I stared down at my shoes, feeling terrible. I had ruined Christmas for my family!

“Maybe Matthew could come here again? I had to drive him here the first time, but now his leg is almost completely healed thanks to Annie. He should be able to go back in a few days or so.”

Mum nodded, “I think that would be best.”

“I’ll bring him round later. In the meantime, feed her, keep her hydrated, and change her dressing if need be.”

Mum smiled, but her face was white with worry, “No problem. Can I speak to you outside, doctor?”

Mum stepped outside, and the doctor shut the door behind them. I rushed up to the door, and pressed my ear against the keyhole.

“Will seeing him make her remember?”

“I can’t say for sure, but it is quite common for patients to suffer from temporary memory loss after coming out of a coma. Maybe, in time she will remember. However, if the damage is permanent, I fear she will never remember.”

“I just wanted her to be happy, doctor,” Mother hissed, “And now, she might never remember!”

“I know, I know,” The doctor whispered calmly, “Just try to remind her of what she used to do. Who knows, maybe seeing Matthew will bring her round?”

I suddenly heard the doorknob turning. I sprinted across the room, and sat on the side of the bed, just as the door opened, and Mum came in.

“Thank you, doctor,” Mum nodded, and I heard the door shut from downstairs as the doctor left.

“Right,” Mum said brightly, clapping her hands together, “Let’s get you some food!”

My stew tasted like cardboard. Everything tasted of nothingness. My brain was whirring, trying to think of who Matthew was, and why he was so important, but to no prevail. I hated that everyone around me knew the answer, but they wouldn’t tell me! I was meeting him later, I would remember then, I was sure of it…. I had barely swallowed but a few mouthfuls of the stew, when there was a knock at the door. Mum answered it, and a young man hobbled into the room. His hair was sandy blonde, his arms muscular and handsome, but his leg buckled slightly when he walked, making him limp. His face was probably as handsome as the rest of his features once, but the side of his face was covered in scars and bruises. He looked at me with sadness, but I just stared back at him blankly.

“Di,” he said, and I instantly recognised it as the voice of the man who had sat by my side while I lay in darkness.

“Matthew?” I asked, and his face lit up, but fell when he realised that I was asking if that was who he was. He nodded, and I saw tears shining in his soft, grey eyes. He walked over to me, and held my hand,

“Do you remember me?”

I shook my head slowly “Should I?” Matthew’s eyes were full of hurt that I knew I had inflicted unintentionally .

Just then, another person walked through the door. She was around my age, and she had grey eyes too, just like Matthew, but her hair was brown and curly. She wore a nurse’s uniform, and stared at me uneasily.

“Hello, Diana,” she said, her voice cold and devoid of sympathy.

A name floated to me from inside my head, “Annie,” I said, my voice, for some reason, equally as cold. Her eyes widened, confused, “Yes.”

I was suddenly swaying, and Matthew held me to keep me from falling to the floor. I remembered her suddenly. I hated her, I hated her because she… I gasped. I looked up at Matthew, who eyed me with concern. I recognised him. “I remember,” I breathed, and everyone turned to me.

“You do?” Matthew smiled, full of hope, but I glared at him. All I saw was him and that girl, kissing in front of me.

“I remember you betraying me!” I shouted, and pulled away from him.

“Diana, calm down,” Mum tried, but I didn’t listen. I stared at Matthew in disbelief, “No! I loved you, and you betrayed me for her!” I pointed at Annie in accusation, and she ran from the room. Matthew sagged.

“Di, let me explain…”

“No! I’ve had enough of your lies. Get out!” I screamed,

“Di…”

“I SAID GET OUT!” I screamed louder, pushing Matthew towards the door. He turned to look at me, just as I slammed the door in his face. I wondered quietly over to the armchair in the living room. I sat down. I stared at the floor. I wept. I suddenly wished that I had never remembered anything about Matthew!

***
Author's note:
Thanks so much for over 40 views in a day! thats totally awesome! how about 200 by the end of the week seeing as you already beat two of my goals already! This dedication is to EllaW for following & voting. Thanks! Xx