Matthew

My shoulders were being shaken. I opened my eyes and rolled over,

“Di, please…” I stopped when I realised that it wasn’t Diana, but Mum who was there, looking at me worriedly.

“Where’s Diana?”

Mum smiled, “You’re going to be a daddy very soon.” I stared at her, my heart beating faster, so fast that I thought it might pop out of my chest.

“Where is she?”

“She’s safe, back at home,”

“What was she doing there?”

Mum raised an eyebrow, and shook my head, “That damn horse…”

“That damn horse may have saved her damn life. She was almost unconscious when she reached the farm. It was a good thing for her that I just happened to be going out to feed the hens.”

“Is she awake now?”

Mum nodded, “She’s asking for you. The nurse sent me to get you while she looks after Diana,”

“Will I be allowed in?”

“I don’t know.”

“I have to get to her,” I said quickly, pulling the duvet back, and pulling my jacket around me as I spoke. I took one step, but I winced with pain as my foot sent needles of agony shooting up my leg. It was always terrible in the mornings.

“I’ll help you downstairs; your father’s car is outside.”

Dad had bought a new car last month. It was white and beautiful, and was envied by our neighbours, but Dad had earned it. I put my arm around Mum’s shoulder, and she helped me painfully slowly down the stairs. I had to get there; Di needed me! She had at least tried to be there when I had needed her; the least I could do was the same.

Mum helped me into the passenger seat, and she got in behind the wheel. Her hand was shaking as she slotted the key into the ignition, and she turned it. The engine suddenly came to life, grumbling that it had been awaken from its peaceful slumber. The car veered out onto the road, and Mum pushed down on the pedal. We drove for what felt like hours, my mind numb with worry. Was she alright? She had to be alright, was the baby aright? Was it a boy or a girl? What if neither of them was alright? How would I live with myself?

Go faster,” I urged, sitting forward in my seat. Mum nodded hesitantly, and then I was pushed back in my seat as the wind rushed to meet my face.

Mum suddenly slammed on the brakes, and I jolted forward. I would have crashed through the glass if I hadn’t put my hands out to stop myself.

“Sorry,” Mum mumbled slightly shaken. I let out a breath I hadn’t realised I’d been holding, “It’s fine, let’s just go,” and before Mum could help, I pushed open the car door, and hauled myself out, hobbling up to the door, biting my lip to stop myself crying out with every step. I pushed open the door, and pulled myself up the stairs with the banister. I could hear screams now, muffled by the walls, but definitely there. I let go of the banister, and ran. My feet were screaming in pain, and white hot pain burned up my legs and spine, but I had to keep going, I had to be there for her. I was outside the door now, and I could hear the screams clearer now, they were saying one word over and over again, Matthew. I went to open the door, but a woman was there when I opened it. The nurse was around my age, with soft grey eyes, and brown curly hair. She looked tired, but her eyes widened when she saw me. She looked familiar…

“Matthew!” she exclaimed with a heavy French accent. My heart stopped, “Annie…”

I was taken aback for a moment just as Di’s screams reached a new level,

“What are you- you know what? It doesn’t matter; I’ll talk to you later,” I murmured and tried to go past her, but Annie stopped me,

 “She can’t have anyone else there; you can wait outside. I- need to talk to you too,” she turned away suddenly as Di screamed again, and the door shut in my face. I slumped against the wall, and sat there as the screams pierced the otherwise peaceful silence.

Maybe it was another twenty minutes like this, but suddenly, it stopped. I sat up, my eyes listening hard. It had stopped, Oh God, I thought, and got to my feet. I pushed open the door, and there was a startled Diana on the bed, looking up at me. Annie was by my side, and she glared when she saw me. “I told you to wait outside!” I ignored her, and walked slowly over to the bed where she lay. She had something in her arms, which was squirming.

“Matthew,” She laughed shakily, tears falling from her eyes, “It’s a boy.”

My laugh caught at the back of my throat, and I started to cry too, but I was smiling. I put a hand down, and touched my son. He was warm and so alive.

“He’s beautiful,” I breathed.

“You want to hold him?”

“Um… sure,” I said uncertainly, and reached out my arms. Diana lifted the baby into my arms, and I held him to my chest. He buried his face into the fabric of my jacket, and sighed.

“Congratulations,” Annie said, welling up herself. Diana looked at her, and her face softened. “Annie,”

Annie stiffened, “I’m…”

“Me too… Listen, thank you. Without you, I’d be…”

“Don’t” I said, and squeezed her hand.

“I’m just glad I could help,” Annie blushed, “And I really am sorry, Diana.”

Di smiled, and took the baby back in her arms.

“Annie, can I talk to you?” I asked, and led her outside.

“I’m sorry I did it to you,” I said, “You’ve felt guilty all this time…”

“Well, we’re ok now, aren’t we?”

“I suppose,”

“I should be going,” she leaned in and kissed me, the smell of her perfume lingering for a moment. She looked away; started to walk away, but she turned back, “Matthew,”

“Yes?”

“Keep hold of her,”

“I will,”

She walked away. I never saw her again.

I went back into the bedroom, where Diana was cradling our son in her arms, stroking his face tenderly,

“Where’s Annie gone?”

“She uh… had to leave,”          

“Oh,” She turned back to our son, who was now smiling cheekily,

“What should we call him?”

The name came to me instantly, “Will,” I said, “We should call him Will.”

***

I felt like this chapter tied up so many loose ends, and this was a good note to leave this chapter on. This is nearly the end of the book :( but I am definitely going to keep on writing on wattpad, don't worry, but I doubt I will update as frequently as with this book, I think I am just really passionate about this book... I hope you are enjoying, so please just keep reading for the last chapter that's coming up!

Read, vote, comment!

Jaz xxx