Matthew

I felt the box in my pocket. Its corners were digging into my side, reminding me it was there. I smiled, stood up straighter. This was it. I knocked on the door, and I heard the sound echo throughout the house. There was a painful two moment gap before the door was opened. Di’s face fell as she saw me standing there.

“Let me say what I have to say,” I said quickly before she shut the door. She glared at me, but nodded and crossed her arms,

“This should be interesting.”

I love you, Di, I’ve always loved you, I always will.” I reached into my pocket slowly, but Diana held up her hand for me to stop.

“No, don’t give me that. If you loved me, then why did you do it? I understand that I don’t know what it’s like out there, but I tried to be there- and then you betrayed me.”

“I don’t love her, Di, it just- happened. Look, I didn’t come here to fight; I came to set things right before I leave tomorrow.”

“Well, set things right then.”

“I reached into my pocket, and brought out the small box. I got down on my knee, and opened the box up before her. Her eyes widened as she saw the ring, sparkling in its case. It was a big diamond, and it had cost me almost everything I had, but if she said yes, it would be worth it, if only she said yes…

“Please,” My voice cut off. I had no idea what to say. I’d practiced what I was going to say hundreds of times in my head, but now that I was saying it…

“Marry me,” I smiled. It was over, I’d said it, and I meant it more than anything before. Diana’s mouth opened, then closed again. She was like a goldfish, who continued to open her mouth and close it for a few moments. Her hard eyes softened, and I saw the tears spring into her eyes.

“You- you mean it?”

“I love you, Di. Please forgive me.”

Diana clasped her hands together and gasped. “Yes, yes!” beamed, and started to get up, but she flung herself around me, and I fell backwards, ruining my best suit as I sat on the dirty road. Oh well, I thought. She said yes! It hadn’t really sunk in yet, and I felt dizzy with glee. Something happy clicked inside my heart, something golden. It was the sound of the key opening the lock to my heart, and she had been holding it, she’d always been holding it. I ran my hand through her hair, and I realised how soft and beautiful is was, like the finest silk. Her arms were warm around me, keeping me safe. When I was back in France, I would feel these arms around me when I was scared. I smiled.

“I’m sorry,”

“So am I,” she murmured. She pulled away from me,

“So, you don’t love her?”

“No, it wasn’t going to happen,”

“Have you told her?”

“I think she knows.”

She kissed me, her lips soft and beautiful. Everything about her was beautiful, I wanted this kiss to last forever.

“You’re a better kisser,” I smiled, and she laughed, her eyes catching the sun. I realised I hadn’t put the ring on yet!

“Give me your hand,” I lifted up the ring and it sparkled.

I slipped the ring onto her long delicate finger. It fitted perfectly.

“It’s beautiful,” she breathed happily. “How did you afford it?”

“That’s for me to know and you to find out,” I didn’t want her knowing how much I’d spent. I tried a smile, but she raised an eyebrow.

“I saw it in the jewellers,” she grinned “You really didn’t have to spend that much on me.”

I groaned, “You could have said that before I bought the ring you know.” She laughed, and I knew I was forgiven. We stood, and at that moment, Diana’s mother came out.

“Why did you leave the door wide open?” she glared. She saw us and stopped.

“I thought…” her eyes found the ring on Diana’s finger and her eyes widened. I prepared for the worst; she had never made a secret of her resentment towards me, but now she was smiling, and hugging Diana. “My baby’s getting married!” she cried happily, and I smiled. My smile dropped when I remembered I’d have to leave tomorrow. What if I died before the wedding?

***

I thought the story needed a happy moment! what do you think?

Wow, nearly 200 views, this is amazing! thanks! Once again, this is dedicated to CaitlinWickens for being amazing!