Diana

That night, I went back to Matthew’s house to celebrate the good news. The ring felt cold on my finger, reminding me that the proposal had actually taken place, and this wasn’t just some perfect dream. Before, I had been so sure we had been finished, but now? Would he really have proposed to me if he didn’t love me? I remembered the seriousness on his face as he got down on one knee; I remembered how my heart had flipped, and in that one instant, he had been forgiven. I think that no matter how angry I had been at him, I had always loved him, as he did me.

Suzie greeted us with open arms, giving me a big hug, telling me she was so glad I was better now.

“I’m sorry about the car,”

“To hell with the car! When Joseph gets back he’ll buy a new one!” She grinned, “I have a bottle of raspberry cordial I was saving for when Jo gets back, but I think he’ll forgive me if I open it now!”

She let us inside, and bustled into the kitchen. We heard the faint ‘pop’ of a cork and the ‘clink’ of glasses, and before we knew it, we were being handed big glasses of cordial. I sipped it, and felt my tongue fizz. I laughed,

“It’s got a kick to it!”

“Certainly has.” We raised our glasses, and downed the glasses in one.

“Are you staying for dinner, Di dear?” Suzie asked. I nodded,

“If you’ll have me!”

 I knew Mum wasn’t making anything special. She had decided to stay at home, as she wasn’t really one for social gatherings.

We had a lovely cottage pie with cheese on top, it made the occasion feel even more special.

Suzie went to bed early; she’d been working hard all day. I felt bad of course for not being able to help; I vowed to resume my job at the farm as soon as I was able.

We said goodnight, and Matthew and I just sat, talking.

“Where’s Annie tonight?”

“Oh, she’s gone down to the dock to get things ready for tomorrow.”

“I am sorry, you know,”

“I know. You have a right to be angry, I’m sorry too.”

We smiled, and our hands touched.

“Would you like to- stay over tonight?” Matthew asked, a mischievous gleam in his eye. I blushed, this was all going so fast. I didn’t dare to think of it, but this may be my last chance.

“Sure,” I grinned.

The night flew by. All I felt was his warmth around me, reassuring me, protecting me. I’d never done anything like this before, but it was not at all awkward, I loved him, and he adored me.

The next morning, I woke with his arm around me. His eyes flickered open beside me.

“Morning,” he smiled,

“Morning. So- that happened,”

“I suppose it did.”

We lay there for a while in silence, with nothing but ourselves. Suddenly, I sat up.

“What is it?” Matthew mumbled,

“You’re leaving today.”

He paled, “Yes.” He sat up beside me, “But I’ll be back.”

“I know you will.”

There was a pause, “You should get dressed, Mum will be up to check on me soon,” Mathew urged. I slid out of bed, and pulled on my dress. There was a looking glass on the wall. My hair was loose, hanging way past my shoulders in natural curls. If I left it down, Mum would know I’d done something for sure! I pulled it into a loose bun, and was satisfied.

“You look beautiful,” Matthew smiled. I turned. He was dressed in his uniform again, but when before, his eyes had glinted with excitement, there was now only a lingering sadness in his face.

I took his hand, “Don’t worry, I’m sure it will all be over soon, then you can come home and marry me,”

“I’m looking forward to that. Just- don’t lose that ring, I won’t be able to buy another!”

“I’ll try not to!”

Just then, Suzie came in. When she saw me, a confused expression came over her face.

“I didn’t hear you come in, Di.”

“Oh, um…” I could feel my face burning, “I just came actually, I wanted to say goodbye before Matthew left.”

Suzie smiled, “Of course. Have some breakfast with us, Di, then he must be leaving.”

She left us as she went downstairs.

“That was close,” I chuckled, “Do you think she knows?”

“I hope not!” Matthew laughed.

We had bowls of porridge for breakfast, with some sugar sprinkled on top. After, we started to walk towards the dock, hand in hand. We said hardly anything all the way, but every now and then, we’d squeeze each other’s hands.

Eventually, the horrible sight of the dock came into view, but we had to carry on walking…

We stopped.

“I guess… there’s nothing more to say than… goodbye,” I whispered sadly. Matthew smiled, “Not goodbye, but see you soon,”

I nodded, “Of course, just come home safe.”

“I will.”

We kissed then, and we stayed there for several moments. I didn’t want it to end, because I knew that as soon as it did, he would leave. I pulled away with tears in my eyes.

“See you soon.”

 ***

Author's note:

Ho everyone! I hope you're enjoying! Thanks so much for nearly 250 views. This is such a big accomplishment for me! This is dedicated to Joey Morino, thanks! Joey has published a story on here called, "Daughte of THOR!" please check it out, it's very good!

Read, vote, comment!