Part 10 - Matthew and Diana

My ears were ringing, and my hands stung. My eyes were watering. I blinked, and tried to sit up… and then I realised where I was. I looked behind me, and saw the massive crater that the grenade had made. I ran, and fell into it. There was no mud in here, thank goodness! I sat there, trying to stop my ears from ringing, but the explosions all around me just made my head hurt, and the constant stuttering of the rifles bore into my head. I then remembered Will, and that hurt worse than any headache. I had sworn to protect him, and I had let him die in my arms. He had been too young. What about Tommy? Pete? Dad? Were they all dead too? I didn’t want to think of it. My head was clear now- well, as clear as it could be in the circumstance. I had no gun; I had dropped it when the grenade had gone off. I cried then. I was going to die; I had no weapon, no friend; no reason to go on. “I’m sorry, Di” I whispered, “But I won’t be home for Christmas.”

I pulled myself out and over the top of the crater, and ran. I could see my rifle, lying there in amongst dead bodies. I dived forwards, and grabbed it, but at the same time, I felt a searing pain in my leg. I cried out, as I saw the barbed wire that I hadn’t seen before. It was snagged on my leg, cutting the flesh. My leg was wet, and every time I moved, the pain got worse.

“HELP!” I cried, but no one could hear me over the roaring of the guns. I sobbed, my tears staining the ground. A German ran towards me, and I shot him, followed by another, who had no gun. I pulled the trigger, but no bullet came out: I had used them all. I had no time to reload; he was nearly on top of me. I panicked, and threw my rifle at him in an attempt to slow him down. It did rather more than that. My bayonet hit him in the chest, and he cried out, and fell to the floor, landing on a dead man. He writhed for a while, then stopped. I breathed, stay calm, you’re still alive! Then I had an idea. I reached out for the rifle, which was now sticking out of the man’s chest. I inched forward, and my leg burned, and I screamed, but I gritted my teeth and inched closer. I grabbed at the rifle, and pulled it. It came free almost at once, though it was covered in blood. I turned the gun around and pulled off the blade at the end. I then used the bayonet to cut through the wire, and I was free! I couldn’t walk; my leg wouldn’t let me, but I dragged myself backwards. I had to get back to the trench. They would send me to hospital, and I could get help!

Suddenly, I heard a bang from in front of me. My chest felt tight. I looked down, and suddenly, my vision darkened. I slumped to the floor as I lost consciousness.

Diana:

My driving skills had improved, and I certainly wasn’t as forgetful! I drove over to the shops every day to deliver goods, and I would also look after the animals on the farm. Suzie insisted on giving me half of her earnings, which I thought was very generous of her!

It had been four days since Matthew had gone over the top. I hadn’t heard from him, and neither had Suzie. At first, we thought him dead, and held each other as we wept, but then I thought:

If he was dead, the army would send us a letter to say so!

And for that reason, and that reason alone, I chose to believe he was alive!

One day, I came up to the farm, to find Suzie crying. She saw me, and wiped her eyes.

“Hello, Di dear,” she smiled sadly.

“Suzie, what’s happened?” I asked softly. Suzie held up a letter, and my chest suddenly felt tight.

They’d send you a letter if he was dead…

Hardly daring to believe it, I took the letter, hands shaking:

Dear Mrs Ecklestone,

I am very sad to inform you that your son, Peter Ecklestone, was killed in action four days ago on the front line. He fought with honour, and died for a good cause. You should be very proud. He will be greatly missed, we are sorry for your loss.

Sergeant Clarke

As horrible as it sounds, I let out a small sigh of relief, Matthew was alright!

Then it sunk in: Pete was dead- dead…

“Oh, Suzie!” I exclaimed, “I’m so sorry!” I patted her hand. I felt upset myself, Pete had been so sweet to me, and a great friend, but I couldn’t cry in front of Suzie. I had to be strong for her!

“Thank you!” Suzie gulped, and I felt so sorry for her.

“Pete was a great man, and he wouldn’t want you to be upset,” I smiled sadly.

“I know, I know! But I can’t help it…” Her eyes were red, and she radiated sadness.

This war was killing everyone, literally and emotionally. If it was this bad here, I didn’t even want to think what it was like out there…

 ***

Author's note:

I hope you like it! Thanks so much for over 50 views now. I can't believe it! 

I am dedicating this chapter to Chloedra, as she has voted on my story, and has been awesome, so thank you!

Read, vote, comment!