part 1

She sat slumped under the shade of the tree in the heat of the afternoon, her eyes were closed as if she were in deep thought, but in truth, she was dreaming peacefully. Her long blonde hair fell over her shoulders in golden ringlets, onto her pea-green chequered dress which came down to her ankles. Behind her closed eyelids, was a pair of the most beautiful brown eyes, the colour of the chocolate that she had tried on one special occasion.

She wished to be alone to sleep as the sun disappeared behind the hills, only to be seen again the next morning. The sky flashed brilliant amber before descending into darkness, and stars came out of hiding. Suddenly, she was being shaken awake, and she could feel the damp grass beneath her, and the cold air pulling at her hair. She blinked those chocolate eyes, and saw his grinning silhouette in the darkness. His hair, during the hours of the day, was the colour of sand, but now, it was consumed by the colour of shadow. His eyes, a beautiful pale grey colour reflected the colour of the moon that shone brightly in the sky, and his skin was pale. She smiled sleepily, and let him pull her to her feet. He wrapped his coat around her; let her hold his arm, as they started home under the magical moonlit sky.

As soon as she walked into the house, her mother was there, wearing an apron and a fresh frown, which she saved for severe cases.

"Where've you been?!" She cried, glowering, her eyes boring into her like needles, "It's after dark!"

"I'm sorry," The girl mumbled, "I fell asleep."

"Asleep? Where have you... Oh, you were with him," she snorted in distaste.

Diana sighed, frustrated, "Why do you not like him?"

"He puts ideas into your head that no woman should have, especially such an impressionable one such as yourself. I want you to stay away from him; I've been worried sick while you have been out with a young scoundrel doing only the lord knows what..." Diana let her go on for several more moments. She hated it when her mother was like this, acting as if Diana was her item to sell to the highest bidder.

"Mother, this is my life, and these are my choices," She mumbled half-heartedly, tired of having the conversation.

Her mother's tone softened, and she caught Diana's eye, 'Di, you know I just want what's best for you, right?'

Diana turned away, "I'm going to bed."

She snuck out early the next morning, while the Sun was returning to the sky. He was waiting for her by the bakery, a wicker basket in his arms.

"Sorry I am late," she apologized, but he just leaned forward and planted a kiss on her cheek. It was warm and welcome on the cold August morning.

"Ready?"

They went back to the shade of the big oak tree from the night before, and sat on the grass. He opened the basket and produced two white bread rolls, and some cheese.

"Oh, Matthew, you're so good to me."

"Only because you are worth it." She blushed.

The cheese was delicious and creamy, and the bread was so soft, (courtesy of the baker's boy, Matthew had told her,) and it was soon gone, and they were left only with each other.

"I should be getting back, mother will be awfully cross if she finds I've come to see you,"

"Hasn't she ever been in love?"

"She says you are a bad influence,"

"I am at that," he laughed, "But it just makes me more interesting."

He turned to her, and saw the sun shine onto her curls. "I love you." He didn't even have to say it loudly to be heard."

Her eyes widened. "Wow, yes, well- wow,"

"You ok?"

"Yes, it's just- you've never said it before. What's happened?"

Matthew laughed, but only after a moment, "Nothing is wrong, I love you!"

Diana looked into his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing..."

"Matthew..."

He turned away from her then, his head in his hands. When he looked up again, she could see his face was wet. Diana had never seen him cry before, and she never wanted to see it again. She touched his cheek gently,

"Hey, it's ok. Whatever it is, it's alright. Tell me. You know you can trust me, don't you?"

"I know, I do but it's- difficult."

"Please."

He paused for a moment, sighed, then began.

"The German's have attacked France to try and take over Paris. The PM is asking for men to sign up." "Matthew..."

"They want me to go off to France, and fight for them. To make my country proud, Dad said. He's going too, and so is my brother."

Author's note:

Hi, I hope you are enjoying! Just saying, if you like this book, then please read my new poetry book, 'Occasional thoughts,' and follow me to catch the release of my new story which I will be releasing soon!

Enjoy Xx