|| T H R E E ✶ The Dinner ||

When Octavia returned to the break room, it smelled even better than when she'd left it

When Octavia returned to the break room, it smelled even better than when she'd left it. She didn't know what her stepmother had prepared, but she was certain Caleb's improvised dish would be much better.

Since she had nothing to lose, she'd gone to her car, into the freezing warehouse, to fetch the gift she'd prepared for Caleb. If she had the nerve to show up in this dress, she most definitely could find the courage she needed to give him the gift.

The dress was tight, hugging her like a second skin, and the hem kept rising up, defying the laws of gravity. Instead of pantyhose, Tanya – who was definitely out to get some – only had semi-transparent stockings held by tight garters. That was definitely something Octavia wasn't used to. Surprisingly, the cleavage was the only thing not posing an issue. The built-in bra was perfectly engineered.

While the dress was an acceptable fit, the shoes weren't, so Octavia was wearing her white sneakers. It clearly wasn't as elegant as the rest of her, but it allowed her to keep a bit of herself. She'd also taken a moment to adjust her makeup, even though it wasn't as good as what she could have hoped for.

Caleb wasn't there when she arrived, and she used this opportunity to settle the present under their pitiful Christmas tree. Vixen was in the corner, lying on the faded green couch.

"Come, girl," Octavia called her, wanting her company while she went to get something in the shop. As they wandered there together, she picked the item she wanted and put it in a paper bag, to be unfolded later.

This time, when she came back to the break room, Caleb was there, stirring the content of the pot. He'd dressed up too, wearing the change of clothes he kept in his office. The navy blue button-up shirt suited him to perfection, its sleeves rolled up on his muscular forearms. His dark jeans were just as fitting, and Octavia couldn't prevent her eyes from checking out his round and firm behind. That, she would miss a lot.

The small radio was on, and Christmas music was floating in the air. The setting was highly improbable, but the Christmas spirit was here.

Taking the wooden spoon out, Caleb wiped some sauce on his thumb and then brought it to his mouth. The sound of the door closing warned him they were back, making him twist around. Octavia tensed, anxiously anticipating his reaction.

With the tip of his thumb still between his lips, he froze. She stayed unmoving as his eyes roamed over her from head to toe, and then back up. It was impossible not to notice the way his irises darkened, and it had a powerful effect on Octavia's pride. Yes, she was a woman. It was a shame it took a skimpy dress for Caleb to notice.

Shaking himself from his trance, he turned back to his pot. As she went to put her package by the tree, Octavia spotted a small gift, wrapped in light blue paper. Her heartbeat quickened, knowing this was the present Caleb had chosen for her.

"It's almost ready. I've opened a bottle of wine, but I don't know if you'll have some."

"Yeah, sure. I love wine."