|| T H I R T E E N ✶ The Epilogue ||

The house was impeccably clean, not a thing out of place

The house was impeccably clean, not a thing out of place. Christmas decorations were scattered all around the living room, where a fire was cracking in the fireplace. On the mantel, more decorations were displayed among framed pictures.

Vixen was lying in her cushioned basket, next to the beautifully ornamented tree. Everything was looking perfect, very Christmas-y, and the carols softly coming from the speakers added to the magic.

But it wasn't enough. Octavia had to make sure everything was perfect. It was the 25th, and she loved Christmas too much to let it be anything less than flawless.

Going to the dining table, she adjusted the wine glasses, making sure the distribution was even. When she noticed a water spot on one of the knives, she gave it a quick rub with her thumb.

Vixen gave her a judging look with her head tilted to the side, as if she knew Octavia was being ridiculous.

"No, you don't get to judge me. All you do all day is sleep, beg for treats, and get petted. So, shush."

Understanding she wouldn't win the case, Vixen laid her head back on the edge of her basket.

With a quick pace, Octavia headed to the kitchen. She had to check if things were going well. She found Caleb in there, wearing a ridiculous Santa hat and an assorted apron. Everything smelled delicious, and the kitchen seemed to be running like a well-oiled machine.

"Baby, do you think it needs more salt?" Caleb asked her as she passed near him.

She stopped her nervous walking and took the spoon he was extending in her mouth. The sauce was so amazing it ignited a small firework on her tongue, delicious savors titillating her taste buds.

"No, it's perfect. Oh, my God, you're so good at this."

"It's like you keep forgetting I'm an amazing cook," he protested teasingly.

"No, I'm not. You keep getting better is what's happening."

"Nice save, darling."

Taking one quick look around, she tried to assess the amount of work he had left.

"Do you think everything will be ready on time?" she anxiously asked.

"Octavia, calm down. It'll be fine."

"I'm calm. I just want things to be perfect, not fine."

"I don't get why you're so nervous. My parents love you, and your dad tolerates me. We're good."

"My dad likes you," she tried, unable to hold a slight grimace.

"He doesn't. He thinks I'm too old for you. But your lie is appreciated."

Because she was still clearly worried about the situation, Caleb grabbed her hips and hitched her up on a clean area of the counter.

"Alright, you need to stop right now because you're making me nervous when I was perfectly okay in the first place."

"I'm sorry, I can't help it. It's our first Christmas together, and—"

"Second. It's our second Christmas."

"Last year doesn't count. We weren't a couple last year."

"What were we then?"

"I don't know, some weird in-between state. But it's not the point. My dad and his wife are coming, your parents too, and I just want everything to run smoothly."

"And it will. Now calm down or I'll drag you upstairs and soothe your nerves the one way I know always works."

"Oh, no no no, Caleb Dale. It's your fault in the first place if I woke up so late and had to run around all morning."

"What can I say, the night before Christmas gets me in the mood," he declared, bending to kiss the side of her throat.

One year with this man and she still shivered all over when he kissed her like this. When his hands daringly ran up her thighs, under her green dress, Octavia felt her need for him slowly grow. It was unfair how he could so easily manipulate her into being docile and pliant.

Looking over his shoulder, she checked the clock, wondering how long they had before their guests arrived. Ugh, not long at all. And knowing her stepmother, they'd probably arrive in advance.

"Cal, we don't have time for this," she protested, her voice weak. "Get out of the mood and go back to cooking."

"Hmm, I like it when you boss me around."

Not any closer to stopping his sweet seduction, his tongue left a fiery trail up her throat, making her whimper and wriggle closer to him. Fuck their guests. They should spend all day cuddling and making love in front of the fire, as they'd done last year.

Ready to get this going, she grabbed his Santa hat and threw it on the floor, still not into that kink.

"We seriously need to work on your hatred for hats," Caleb humored, hooking his fingers around the waistband of her thick woolen tights, ready to get them off.

The doorbell rang, ruining the plans she was already making in her head. Vixen barked twice from the other room, excited to discover whoever was behind the front door.

Caleb let go of her with a groan, his hands leaving from under her dress. He helped Octavia down from the counter, and she gave him an apologetic smile.

"Alright, let's do this, then throw everyone out as soon as possible so we can get back to this," she suggested.

"And then, in twenty-four hours, we'll be sipping cocktails out of coconuts in Aruba."

"Hmm, yes. I can't wait to spend ten days with nothing but a bikini and you," Octavia approved.

"And I can't wait to take that bikini off three times a day."

"Three?! Caleb, I'll come back in a wheelchair."

"But it'll be so worth it."

She laughed at his teasing, knowing her face was growing redder. She could never get used to him being naughty. His charming smirk melted her heart, and he bent to give her a long and thorough kiss.

The doorbell rang again, making them groan in unison.

"Have I told you how much I love you today?" he asked when he pulled away from her.

"A couple of times, but you can never say it too much."

She smiled before he even said it, knowing how incredible it made her feel every single time. With his irresistible blue eyes locked into hers, he told her the words she'd heard so many times before.

"I love you, Octavia Dale."

—The Merry End—