|| S I X ✶ The Santa Hat ||

An overwhelming melancholia took over Octavia's mood, ruining the last remnant of bliss coursing through her

An overwhelming melancholia took over Octavia's mood, ruining the last remnant of bliss coursing through her. In an instant, she was back to her sad and hopeless reality.

What had been heavenly now felt wrong, and having his skin plastered on her, his shaft still in her, only worsened her heartache. Her hands on his torso gently pushed him away as she tried to set some distance between them, needing to do whatever she could to preserve her heart. Cuddling after sex wasn't an option. It was too intimate, too tender.

Oblivious to her change of mood, he pulled out with a contented sigh. It felt empty without him inside her, but she'd have to get used to it. After tonight, it would be over. To him, this was just a sex thing, a physical agreement, a naughty deal...

"Fuck, Vee. I knew it'd be good, but this was... something else entirely."

Mindlessly, she nodded, her heart heavy with sorrow. It was different because they had something. She knew it, and she wished he could see it too.

Still not grasping what had just happened, she let herself down from the table before putting her red dress back into place. She was feeling somehow dirty, as if she'd debased herself. She was in love with Cal, but she'd taken whatever he was offering instead, which wasn't enough.

The angelic voices singing some praises to Jesus on the radio didn't help her feel better – far from it. Especially when she had to grab her discarded panties from the floor.

Sex meant a lot to her, which was why she didn't normally do one-night stands. She had always been a hopeless romantic. Despite the failures, she'd truly attempted to build something with her exes. Nothing had ever worked out, though, because there was only one man she wanted.

A moment alone to gather her thoughts seemed great, so she passed by Caleb, who was done discarding the condom, to head to the locker room. Still not noticing her somber mood, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her into his arms. One of his hands tangled in her hair, and he brought her in for a long, intense, and bone-melting kiss.

When he pulled away, there was something almost euphoric in his expression. He was still high from what they'd shared, and she wished she was in the same state of mind. She wanted to enjoy the night to the fullest.

"I need to go to the bathroom real quick," she told him, needing to get away. A surge of emotions was about to take over, and she needed to be alone when it did. He released her, and she made her escape, swallowing back her tears.

Once alone, Octavia took deep, soothing breaths, trying to calm down her racing mind. None of the realizations she was having were new. Despite her wild hopes and dreams, she'd known for a long time that Caleb didn't belong with her. If he did, something would have happened by now.

But no. He didn't like her this way. As it turned out, he was attracted to her. He wanted to have sex with her, and it was a somehow gratifying thing to know. But he'd agreed to this because it was a single night of steamy sex, not the complete package she so desperately wanted.