Short Story #1

There is a door in front of me. Surrounding me are plain white walls.

There is a door behind me, but it is locked. It is the door that led me here.

Do I keep going? Or do I stay here?

It seems it would be rather boring meandering around, staring at these plain white walls all the time.

But what would happen if I were to walk through the door in front of me? I could have my heart broken, or I could change the world.

I think back to all the people I have seen in this long and weary maze of doors, increasing in each room as going through the door becomes harder and harder.

Countless others, wandering around, wallowing in self a pity and sorrow. I look at the people around me; their ghost-like figures almost indecernable from one another.

Several have warned me not to go through the door, as it will only cause me harm; but how would they know? They haven't been through the door.

The door, a brilliant blue rectangle standing out against the white walls surrounding it, as if defying the whiteness of the room, seemed to beckon to me as if only I were meant to walk though it.

I took a small step towards the door, then another, and another, and I was at the door. I touched the doorknob and started to turn it...

"What in the world are you doing?"

I jumped in surprise and turned around to find that everyone in the room had crowded around me, all with an angry look on their face.

"I was going through the door," I said.

"Are you stupid or something? Do you want to continue this never ending race to find an imaginary end to all of this. This is all there is. Don't you know that?"

This came from a young man with bright green eyes that seemed almost inhuman.

I blinked at him. There seemed to be something suspicious in his voice. It was like magic or something. My mind was reeling. All I could focus on was this man's words.

"So what do you say, Makena? Will you stay here, safe from all harm?"

The use of my name snapped me back to reality.

"How do you know my name?"

"I know all."

He must be the challenge to get past the door. This man spoke of exactly what I was afraid of.

"I will not stay here!"

I ran to the door and swung it wide open, bathing the room in a brilliant light. I bolted through the door and slammed it behind me.

When the adrenaline rush had faded, I slumped against the door and started to cry.

"Why are you crying, miss?"

I looked up to see a little boy looking at me with deep concern, an unusual expression for such a little boy.

"Am I through with the maze?" I asked.

"Yes, miss. You've made it through to the end."

"Really? I did?"

I looked up at my surroundings; lush, green grass as I have only imagined, trees as vibrant and different as a painter's colors...

Realization dawned on me as I realized the truth. I had made it! Something I had dreamed of my whole life has finally come true!

"Are you okay, miss?"

I looked at the boy, who had somehow become a handsome young man with kind, brown eyes.

"Yes. I'm fine. I'm just happy."

"You must be tired, miss. You traveled so far to get here. Why don't you rest?"

I suddenly realized the truth of his words. The grass looked so comfortable. I laid down. The grass was more comfortable than it looked.

I smiled, closed my eyes, and fell asleep.

The last thing I heard was the man saying,

"May you find peace at last, my dear Makena."

*there will be a poem to go along with this short story.*