The Summer We Changed (Chapter-4)

"Stop fussing, Ellie!" Mom admonished as she did my hairs. "Jeez, you're unbearable!"

"Do not put too much makeup on me!" I warned my mother. "I just want to be me,"

It was finally the day for the annual summer dance which was basically the English version of high school prom. Every year, this dance was conducted for the senior Sixth form students, the British version of high school. After clearing sixth form one can apply for further studies in any university. The main motive for the dance was to relieve students of the final examination stress which was usually a month away from the day of the dance.

It was a big deal for every senior form student. After all how many times do you get to be all dressed up and enjoy your last days as a school student? From what I have heard from my sister who was in same school, the night of the summer dance has always been epic. So I was really looking forward to it despite all the unnecessary fuss my mom was doing in getting me ready.

"Why are you so fussy?" Mom admonished. "Don't you wanna look better than who was that girl you were talking about...Jenny Simpson?"

"I can never beat Jenny Simpson mom," I rolled my eyes. "So better let me be me and hurry up because Adrian will be here any moment!"

"He is already here," Dad announced, leaning by the door. "Wow, do my princess look stunning!"

Oh...I felt my hands go cold at the thought of going like this in front of him!

"Dad!" I groaned. I hated being complimented. It makes me nervous and then I go all blushy which was really stupid.

"What?" He smiled. "I can't compliment my daughter?"

"Of course you can," Mom said, moving away as she assessed her handy work. "She is just unnecessarily fussy. Come on, get up and have a look!"

"I will wipe my face away if there's excess makeup," I threatened, standing up.

"Just have a look, will you?"Mom chastised. "God, this girl!"

I scowled but eventually walked up to the full length mirror in my room and as I stared at my reflection, I gasped inwardly. Who was this? This couldn't be me! I moved my arm and the reflection on the mirror mirrored the act. It was me. Wow.

The dress was a perfect fit and my slender arms and long legs looked amazingly pretty in it. The pink heels made me look even taller and my long brown hairs were tied in a low side-bun on the right side of my neck. Thankfully, mom hasn't just shoved makeup on my face but kept it bare minimum with just liner and pink lips and some blush. I actually looked beautiful and to think Adrian will see my like this...I almost forgot how to breath.

"Shall we?" Dad smiled and I nodded, trying to calm my breath.

I followed behind mom and dad and leaning a little over the glass railing I could see Adrian waiting, scrolling through his phone. He looked up as he heard the footsteps and his eyes followed mom and dad then finally landing at me. His reaction was exactly what I was hoping for. His eyes widened with shock and he kept staring at me until Dad has to slap him on the back.

"Take care of our daughter, Adrian," Dad laughed, making him go red. "She's your responsibility, tonight,"

"Of course, don't worry uncle Jacob," Adrian smiled and I almost melted inside. He looked too good to be true in his black tuxedo, brushed back dark hairs and as always was carrying his amazing smile. Man, was he hot!

"That's stupid Jacob, he is the one looking after her all the time anyway," Mom smiled. "Alright you two, off you go. Don't get into any mischief and don't go to borderline, okay?"