The Summer We Changed (Chapter-2)

"We are home!" Uncle Julian announced. "Damn, the whole house smells like thanksgiving day!"

"Stop exaggerating!" Aunt Amelia rolled her eyes at him as she grabbed the bags. "Ellie, go and wake Adrian. He should start working on his project now. And you wash up and start on your homework. Don't want a scolding from Ella, do you?"

"Yes, aunt Amy," I nodded and clambered upstairs to Adrian's room.

His room was completely dark and silent and I had to squint hard to make out his sleeping figure. I tip-toed towards him and confirming that he was fast asleep, went down on my knees and gazed at him, resting my head on the bed just a few inches away from him. I smiled and softly brushed away the hairs falling on his eyes.

I have known Adrian for as long as I can remember. We have been best friends forever. But I still can't figure out when I started to like him more than a friend and eventually fell in love. It just happened. Throughout the years, the more I watched him grow into this amazing person, the more I realized that he was a part of me that I can't live without.

I didn't just love him because he was crazily good looking with his dark eyes and dark hair and a sharp jawline with a drool worthy body. I also just didn't love him because of he was so good in everything be it studies, sports or music. He was a topper of our school, captain of the football team, president of the student council and a wonderful pianist. It was hard to believe that one person could be good in so many things but he was.

The truth was I loved every part of him, even the tiniest thing. I loved his eyes when he would scrunch them up in concentration and I loved his eyes when he would look at me with adoration. I loved the dimples in the corners of the smile he wears and I loved the v on his forehead when he would frown with exasperation. I loved the way he smelled and I loved him more every time he called my name.

Keeping these feelings inside me was hard because there were days when I would want to touch him more than a mere friendly touch or kiss him or just lock myself up in his embrace. But I was afraid of getting hurt and more than that of ruining what we have now. I was more than content with that then losing him for forever.

"I know you're staring at me, Ellie!" He murmured and gave me a lazy smile without opening his eyes.

Shit!

"I was contemplating sketching on your face," I lied. "But now I have to stow that for another day, I guess,"

"Don't you have your homework to complete?" He asked, sitting up and squinting at me.

"Don't you have your project to work on?" I demanded. "What project is it by the way? How do I not know?"

"You were sleeping in the class," He answered. "As always,"

"Wait! That's possible," I muttered, feeling horrified. "What project did we get?"

"Jesus," Adrian laughed. "There's no project, Ellie. I lied. I just needed some rest so. But wow you're reaction was worth capturing!"

"Hahah," I scowled at him. "It's not funny, okay?"

"Okay, got you!" He laughed so I grabbed a pillow and threw at him which he caught neatly and threw back, hitting me squarely on the face.

"I am going to do my home work!" I muttered and started to walk away but he grabbed my arm and pushed me back on the bed.

"Let me freshen up and then let's do it together,okay?" He smiled.

Let's do it together was a synonym for I'll help you since I sucked in almost all the subjects. I fetched my backpack and fumbled inside, feeling the calculus test burning a hole in it. Again, I got C grade and next time Mr. Williams threatened to call my parents if my grades didn't improve.