The Summer We Changed (Chapter-3)

"Are you mad at me?" I asked Adrian as we waited for mom to pick me up. I didn't get a chance to talk to him the entire day.

"Yes," He answered. "I am. What did I say about focus last night? I don't think you want to come with me to Cambridge, Elena"

Elena!

Adrian never called me Elena until he was really mad. Shit! Shit!

"Ava was saying something," I murmured.

"I don't think anything can be more important than your studies at the moment," He answered, bluntly.

"She told me that Jenny Simpson asked you for the summer dance," I said. "Did she?"

"Yes, she did," He answered, uninterested. "And?"

"Why didn't you tell me?" I demanded and it came out a little forcefully then I wanted it to.

"I forgot," He answered simply. "I was waiting to tell you later and then it escaped my mind. How did Ava knows"

"The entire school knows, Adrian," I rolled my eyes. "What did you say?"

"No obviously," He answered with a nonchalant shrug "I promised you, didn't I?"

Yesssss! I knew it!

"Yes but er do you want to go with her?" I asked after a beat.

Please say no!

"What do you mean?" He asked, looking down at me. "Jeez!"

"What?" I frowned. Adrian rolled his eyes and went down on his knees, taking me by surprise. I looked down to see that my shoelaces have come undone.

"Don't tell me you don't know how to tie your shoelaces," He said, artfully tying them like you a tie a ribbon.

"Of course I do," I muttered, appalled. "Someone must have trod on them during the recess, I think,"

"Where's your mind these days?" He asked, looking exasperated. "What were you saying?"

"Oh, I was asking that do you want to go with Jenny Simspon?" I asked. "To the summer dance?"

"Why would I?" He demanded, frowning at me.

"I don't know," I shrugged. "She's the prettiest girl in school...you're the handsomest, it's obvious isn't it? Maybe you would want to go but because you have promised me you couldn't say yes? I don't want to stop you if that's the case,"

"My! If you could just have used this much brain for your studies," He rolled his eyes and slapped me on the head. It was a habit of his. Whenever he was mad at me or just wanted to annoy me he would slap me on the head. "And who said Jenny Simpson is the prettiest?"

"Everybody says so," I muttered with a shrug.

"Everybody is stupid," He retorted. "You are the prettiest!"

"Okay, now you are downright lying. I don't like liars!" I muttered, looking away.

"Why do you think you are not pretty?" He demanded, turning me so that I could face him. "Ellie you need to be confident! You are the prettiest, believe that. Yeah, a little tomboyish for sure but pretty nevertheless,"

"Really?" I whispered and he smiled at me encouragingly.

"Of course," He nodded. "And why would you think that I am forced to go with you? Why would I go with anybody else but my best friend? Wait, is this why you were so bothered?"