Hope for the Future

Two weeks later:

Lance was tired.

Having been rescued only two weeks ago, Lance was waiting rather impatiently for the nightmares to end. Although he had a sneaking suspicion that they might never go away.

In all honesty, his days back inside the castle were not much better than his days inside his galran prison.

Sometimes, Lance would be laughing with his team, smiling genuinely for the first time in who knows how long, and he'd hear it. Or, at least he thought he did...

He couldn't get rid of the thoughts, the sounds, the images. Sometimes he'd hear Haggar's sinister laugh, or the crude sneer of the General. That's all it took, and suddenly he was transported back in time, reliving the experiences over and over.

Shiro had sympathized with him. Told him he was having PTSD.

Lance didn't care what it was called, really. He just wanted it to end.

________________________________

Keith was worried. Part of him knew it was selfish, wishing he had the bright and bubbly Lance back. After going through a trauma like that, would Lance ever be back to normal?

It showed everyday. One second he'd be fine, and Keith could finally breathe because his Lance was back. But then, in a split second, a blank look would appear across his face, and he'd become entirely unresponsive.

Worst of all were the screams. They woke him up nearly every night (as he had started sleeping in Lance's room for fear of him being taken from him again). No matter how tightly he held Lance, whispering that everything would be okay... Nothing helped.

Keith tried everything to comfort him. Seeing him this way... the guilt and worry was too much for Keith to handle.

But he'd be there for Lance no matter what. He had promised himself he would never leave him behind again, and he planned to keep that promise.

________________________________

They had been laying low for the past couple of weeks, hiding out and worm-holing safely away when it was called for.

Lance hated it

He hated feeling weak, knowing he was the reason why the weren't fighting back. They were supposed to fight back- they were Voltron! Lance couldn't help but feel responsible.

He stared at the kitchen floor he was sitting on, his back pressed to the wall and a blanket curled around his shoulders. The castle was dead silent, as he had slipped out of bed and tip toed past Keith's sprawled out figure.

Lance had never liked being alone- that was only amplified during his time away. However, he felt so... guilty.

Every time he was around, he could see it in his teams faces. They were worried. And scared. Their concern for him made him feel sick to his stomach.

He only realized he had started to cry when he saw the tear drops hit the floor. He sank deeper into his blanket, curling it tightly around his fingers. You're useless his thoughts whispered to him.

"Lance?"

He peeked up at the person entering the room, quickly wiping his face with his blanket and putting on a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. Keith frowned at the sight, before lowering himself down next to the other paladin.

Lance begrudgingly opened his arms so Keith could share the blanket, and Keith snuggled in close.

He wasn't quite sure when their dynamic had changed. They had barely talked about it. All they knew was they made each other happy, and Lance could see him spending the rest of his life with Keith.

If you live that long... the bitter voice sang out in his head.

Lance ignored it, opting to grasp Keith's hand in his instead. "What are you doing up so late, Samurai?"

Keith rolled his eyes, smiling nonetheless. "I should ask you the same thing... Did you have another nightmare?"

Lance ducked his head down. All he had was nightmare's. He couldn't remember the last time he slept peacefully through the night.

"I'm fine." Keith sent him a pointed look. "Okay, maybe im still shaken up over the whole 'kidnapped and tortured thing.'" He tried for a joke.

Keith only huffed before pressing their entangled hands to his lips and kissing Lance's knuckles softly. "Lance... you know I'm always here for you, right? Please don't hide yourself from me. I... the whole team loves you. We just want you to be happy."

Lance held back his laugh. He didn't think happiness was in the cards for him anymore.

"Talk to me about it," Keith's eyes peered into his own. "Please?"

Lance sighed as he leaned his head against the mullet boys shoulder. "The usual. Getting hit with magic bursts of energy all while some purple dude kicks me in the face. A typical afternoon some might say."

The grip on his hand tightened. "I'll be okay Keith." He tried for a genuine smile. "After all I've got a hot-headed boyfriend to make me happy now, right?"

His smile widened as he took in Keith's reddened cheeks. "I take back what I said," Keith grumbled through his flush. "You are the worst."

"You love it."

In response Keith leaned forward and kissed his forehead, before suddenly standing and pulling the taller boy up through their entwined hands.

Lance glared down at the object of his affection, but Keith only laughed at his angry expression.

"C'mon Sharpshooter, let's go to sleep. Allura expects us to be bright eyed and bushy- tailed for tomorrows drills after all."

Lance groaned, but let Keith lead him away anyways. Please he pleaded, never leave me alone again.

________________________________

Lance might have been broken, and there were several times throughout the day when he wished he would disappear all together.

But then... there were the good days. Seeing Allura, Shiro, and Coran's patient smiles, staying up late laughing with Pidge and cooking with Hunk, cuddling up against Keith after a particularly hard day...

Lance knew he was damaged. But he had hope that it wasn't beyond repair.

Each day held hope for a happier future, and Lance was wiling to wait it out, hand in hand with his friends.

________________________________

(A/N)- Hello everyone! welcome to the FINAL installment of Damaged Beyond Repair. This is a very sad moment for me oh my gosh, not gonna lie I teared up a little.

I've been writing this fic since my 8th grade year, and now im a senior in high school. Honestly, I can't imagine my life without it at this point, although this ending was long overdue.

There were a lot of plans that didn't make it into the final cut, as you can see from the two week time skip and how I didn't write the Klance get together- but I kinda like the idea that it happened on it's own accord.

Lance still isn't perfect, but he's trying. He's learning how to be happy again, and that's good enough for now.

This chapter was very sappy, and its not my best. I originally had much more plans for the end of this fic, but I hope you guys enjoyed it anyways.

Lastly, I want to thank every single one of you for reading. Four years is a very long time, and I know I've lost a lot of readers along the way. Thank you so so much to all of you who enjoyed.

HAHHA im so sorry for the long and sappy authors note lol

AND NOW! This has been Damaged Beyond Repair! Much love to everyone!

- witch_demigod_runner,,, signing off for good. Bye guys!!! :)