Chapter 39|Homeward Bound

Snowdrop engulfed me in a bone crushing hug. "Do you really have to go back to New York?" "They need me there, Snowy." She let go of me, "I love you, Thistle." "I love you too, Snowdrop." I shouldered my rucksack and boarded the quinjet. Tourmaline was already curled up next to Loki. Her head was on his lap, he was petting her. Marigold had the hood to her jacket pulled over her eyes. I assumed she was trying to sleep. I waved goodbye to my cousin, Ave, and Amare.

The quinjet took off, its engine rumbling. I strapped my seatbelt onto my torso. Loki leaned against my shoulder as I took out a book for the flight. Peter was on his phone. Didn't those things need charged with electricity? I leaned on Loki's shoulder, my cloak wrapped around me.

I took out a leather-bound book and started reading. The blue tinge in his eyes had faded away completely. Was it a side effect from being a frost giant? Or was it something else? His heritage was clearly a sore subject. Our family trees were for both of us. My father courted a fairy, creating me and my sister, and was charged with high treason for it. Then my aunt, the queen, had him beheaded and I was banished. While Loki was a frost giant raised among Asgardians and believed he was one of them.

I flipped a page in my book. Loki pulled me closer to him, pressing a quick kiss to my ivory hair. The quinjet rumbled beneath us. The Avengers looked unbothered, while Peter was still getting used to it. His face was squished against the glass as he studied through the window. It would be a few more hours before we would land in New York. Anticipation buzzed in the pit of my stomach. As much as I enjoyed going back to Stardust Grove, Avengers Tower was my home now. I would never admit that to Snowdrop, though. She would be heartbroken. I flipped another page in my book.

Dragons had such a rich history. They were so intelligent, and yet they had gone extinct five hundred years ago. No one knew why or how despite five hundred years being only a little bit in an elf's lifetime. Tourmaline flopped her wing on my lap. It was meant to be a reassuring gesture. At least there's hope. I'm alive, and we have the eggs at Stardust Grove. I beamed. I'm so glad you're alive. Tourmaline rolled her eyes at the sentiment, I'm glad you're alive too, even if you are an idiot. Tourmaline retracted her wing, folding it against her back. She wrapped her tail around my leg, a sign of affection. 

I turned back to my book, flipping through the yellowed pages. It contained all sorts of information about dragons. It was imperative that as a rider I should know everything there is to know about my partner in arms. According to my nerdy cousin. I did enjoy learning about them. Dragons were always a sensitive topic for Aunt Astra. She hated talking about them, even if she did become queen before their extinction. 

We soon landed at Avenger's Tower, pulling me from my thoughts. The ride had seemed shorter than usual. Tourmaline bounded out of the plane, brimming with energy. Wanna go for a fly? I've got a lot of energy from being cooped up for so long! Tourmaline and I had very different definitions of long. But it's broad daylight. I argued. The dragon sat on her haunches, rolling her eyes. We're not in hiding anymore. We can do what we please. It was true that it had been many moons since we were living in a tent on a rocky island off the coast of New York. 

I dropped my bag off in my room, Tourmaline's wings twitching anxiously. I then put on my riding clothes.  It was nothing much, just a navy blue tunic trimmed with silver paired with my elbow-length finger-less gloves and my leather combat boots.

I climbed onto Tourmaline's back. She took off, her muscles flexing underneath her scales. With each powerful flap of her wings we rose higher into the air. Wind whipped my hair, whistling through my ears. Excitement coursed through me. I missed flying just for the hell of it. Mirth danced in the air as I let out a laugh of pure exhilaration.

Tourmaline dove, catching herself before we careened into a skyscraper. I waved at the office workers. We flew over a park, the dragon skimming the water of a duck pond with her talons. I apologized to the frightened ducks. Their afternoon had been interrupted by a dragon and their rider. Tourmaline climbed up into the sky. Pedestrians and other humans gawked at us. It should've been a normal sight for them, considering we had been Avengers for a few months now.

We continued flying. The concrete jungle provided many fun obstacles to maneuver around. Soon enough we returned to Avengers Tower. Tourmaine and I curled up in my garden, cloud watching. It was perfectly peacedul.